This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Undergrip Dislocates (first try) PE6>iM (form check, please?)

Started by Suzanna McGee, August 17, 2016 · 7 Replies · 185 Views

Suzanna McGee

My first time EVERRRRRRR (yay) under-grip dislocate. I know I am quite wide, and will work on narrowing it. I'd like to hear if my form is ok to keep working on it this way. 

A few weeks ago I thought this would be something out of the planet to achieve, and here we are… it's amazing how all these little exercise work, little by little. When I started this move yesterday, it felt like I cannot lift the arms behind me at all. So I bent over and let the gravity help me to get the arms above my head, to figure out what muscles to engage. I just needed to do it twice this bent-over way, and then boom, I was able to do it from standing. Super exciting!

 

 

Everett Carroll

Nice work Suzanna. Elevate the scapulas more when the bar is overhead and don't allow your lower back to arch. 

Alessandro Mainente

NIce symmetry, you're lucky ;-).

Suzanna McGee

@Everett Carroll Thank you!!! I will do elevate more and make sure I am solid in my core/lowerback. 

@Alessandro Mainente You should see me two weeks ago when I started this HS program… as a tennis player, my right shoulder was sooooo stiff and both  shoulders were doing their own thing, on its own. It was horrible. I was obsessively working on evening them out, doing tons of the myofascial release, especially my lats, pecs, rear delts… and everything around. It got much more even now. "Lucky" is a great compliment to my hard work :-) Thank you!!!

Alessandro Mainente

It is a part of the process, personally when imbalance goes I have the biggest satisfaction. imbalances could have some different forms: strange posture, strange movement dynamic, pain during movement. recognizing that and begin a solid program to improve the situation has always the best satisfaction..soon or later.

Jon Douglas

Absolutely. A couple months ago I posted up a set of prone dislocates which when I saw the video had a marked lean to the left; one shoulder not rotating quite right in the socket. Now I am able to do them in front of a mirror and keep it flat; I dropped the weight to fix it, which took about three weeks, and now I am looking at going past the weight I used previously :)

Spotter is best and easiest to action of course, but a mirror, a video, or a bar with weights on the side that will fall off if there is too much tilt are all great techniques :)

Suzanna McGee
On August 18, 2016 at 2:28 AM, Jon Douglas said:

Absolutely. A couple months ago I posted up a set of prone dislocates which when I saw the video had a marked lean to the left; one shoulder not rotating quite right in the socket. Now I am able to do them in front of a mirror and keep it flat; I dropped the weight to fix it, which took about three weeks, and now I am looking at going past the weight I used previously :)

Spotter is best and easiest to action of course, but a mirror, a video, or a bar with weights on the side that will fall off if there is too much tilt are all great techniques :)

@Jon Douglas what a great idea to put the weights on the ends of the bar that will fall off if you tilt the bar. That could be my next step. I am still pretty wide and my bar is not as heavy, maybe 3–4 pounds. So when it is time to add some weight, I'll add it at the ends. Thanks for the tip!

Jon Douglas

Full disclosure I filched that tip from Alessandro; he often coaches juniors and is great at spotting self-correcting tricks like that :)