This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Prescribed Work

Started by Dustin Carbetta, August 16, 2016 · 8 Replies · 123 Views

Dustin Carbetta

I've just started Fundamentals, myself (I'm on day 4).  I have a couple of things that I'm wondering about:

  • I realize they don't unlock future workouts for a purpose, but is there an overview that will show me the topic for the day and the time required for the duration of the program?  It would be helpful in planning my workout schedule.
  • Each day so far is a couple of ROM positions/stretches.  What am I to be doing with them?  I.e. Do you just do them once and note any areas that need improvement?  Do you continue to perform these stretches throughout?  If so, which, when and how long?
  • Do these days turn into something more substantial going forward or is Fundamentals just a series of these type of activities I've seen so far?

Thanks for any feedback.

Lucy Flynn

Hi, I read the link, and have looked around a lot, and asked questions to my email contact. I apologize if this is redundant. I am still looking for a bit more direction on how to use the Fundamentals. I understand that reps and sets are not specifically laid out due to everyone's varying ability, and I saw some new info pop up today for day one. BUT, I still feel like I need more direction, generally, to fall back on and read about. I am feeling stuck with lack of any general guidelines, such as practice each movement several times and string them all together as you get new ones, vs, just experiment once with each movement exactly as they show you in the video. I know I am being concrete about this, but it is not that obvious to me what is appropriate. And should they be layered to make a fairly significant workout by the end when you incorporate some of each movement into one session? (I know this is meant to highlight issues and limitations, etc.--as a true beginner I am not sure how one knows how to assess this other than the new piece of info added to day one recently) I still feel like I would like to know some more about the general plan, not that I want to jump ahead and go crazy, just to have more direction. Thank you!

Tanya Hill

Hi Lucy, 

I am happy to provide you with some information on where and how the Fundamentals course preps an athlete. 

You are correct, the Fundamentals course is designed to give your body a full assessment. This course will assess your current range of motion for all joints of the body.  The movements in this course are designed to help maintain a healthy lifestyle, many athletes continue to use the Fundamentals was warm up before any other courses or just a way to get their day started. 

Lucy Flynn

Thank you for the reply. I still do not really get a sense of what this course is supposed to be day to day. Meaning is it a work out, is it just basic movement instructions, etc? Am I supposed to add in every piece to make one big work out by the end? I now have seen day 5 review, but again, I am unclear what to be doing daily. I know you kindly answered me about adding them together and gave me some rough time examples on how to practice two movements, but I just get frustrated not understanding from the originator's point of view, how one should use this? 

Example: Day 5 has a short follow along that incorporates all the movements. Now what?? Do I do that once? Do I do it three times? Do I do it daily and add on the new movements? Do I never do that series again? I just am looking for details that are more specific about how to use each day's lessons, and the goal at the end. (Another example- hearing that this is helpful to spot weaknesses etc: How does this expose weakness without any explanation for a true beginner's beginner?) I am interested in doing this correctly, and don't imagine that my guesses are going to be correct. Is there a reason there is not more explanation about this in the lesson? Is it supposed to be coupled with an in person class etc? I may be really missing something obvious. Thank you!

Alessandro Mainente

HI Lucy try to read the last Coach Sommer's answer in this post

Lucy Flynn

Thank you for your suggestions. I have read that post previously, it is great, but I am looking for more specifics I guess about assessing, about the overview of where one is going, and how to tell what one needs more or less of. I think what I am looking for is not part of this program. I appreciate the time. I enjoy the program, just get frustrated with lack of more details.Thank you!

Everett Carroll

Fundamentals is setting you up for the Foundation and Handstand courses which have clear direction and programming. Fundamentals is simply exposure to GST and all will make more sense in the courses that follow.

Lucy Flynn

Thank you.