This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

VMO strengthening

Started by Matthias Mrochen, August 16, 2016 · 6 Replies · 333 Views

Matthias Mrochen
Hey Guys,
 
I have a question.
 
I blew my knee cap out 5 years ago and it popped right back in. Since then I have problems in my knee. The doctors in physios said there isn’t much to do, except training the vastus medialus (VMO) or perhaps better known as teardrop muscle.
 
Next to Foundation One i am active in BJJ and Boxing. But specially in the level changes for a takedown I always have the knee injury in the back of my mind.
 
Does Foundation One train the VMO? Or do you have special exercises which it train more? 
I ask because after two months of foundation one i’m still surprised where muscles are sore the next day    So perhaps there are exercises in it which i don't know
 
Coach Sommer talked in an podcast about fixing the body to get in a healthy shape.
 
 
 
Thanks 
and many greets from Germany 
Alessandro Mainente

HI Matthias, yes you can focus on 3-4 set of 8-12 reps of Natural Leg Extension (PE4/IM), it is brutal on medialis. consider the idea of using some weight plates if necessary. 10-12 reps means at least 8 and no more then 12..you should not be able to complete correctly the 13.

Matthias Mrochen

Thanks for the quick reply. I will try it on my "off" days.

Do you have a suggestion of how often per week?

Matthias Mrochen
I have to push this thread, because another question came up
 
So I tried the Natural Leg Extension for my VMO for a month now. But right at the beginning i thought my legs would break in half
So i switched to train former PE2 with Natural Lag Extension as IM ( I can now do 5x5). The range got much better but still not near my heels.
 
With the new Setup of Foundation 1 I don’t know how i should proceed now?
Because my former PE2 in Legs is now in Foundation 2, but I think my legs need still to build up the strength + VMO for rehabing the knee.
 
Any suggestions?
 
Thanks
Tanya Hill

Hi Matthias, 

My recommendation would be to do the new exercises that are listed in the Foundation One course. You can definitely add int he Natural Leg Extensions at the end of your leg day to keep working on them so when you get to F2 you are ready. 

The new glute work in F1 will definitely prep you well for the Natural Leg Extensions. :) 

Ryan Bailey

I agree with Tanya regarding the new exercises.

By the way, you ARE rehabbing the VMO with the new, assisted squat to full squat progression (PE1-PE3). If you were training VMO in a limited Natural Leg Extension previously, you were only getting partial benefit. If you are strong enough, you will fly through foundation 1 - SLS; working VMO through the entire knee range of motion... working up to, eventual full range natural leg extension.

The benefit of the new SLS change, is that it allows the athlete to work all 4 quad muscles, not just VMO, through full range. This assures someone has both healthy quad function plus full flexion range of motion Prior to deck squats and beyond. 

Sascha Fast

I'd suggest the peterson step up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=venxzC5TDfg

 

There is a difference between activating and incorporating its activity into a movement and simply strengthening.