This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Thrive Okay For Teens?

Started by Ashe Higgs, August 15, 2016 · 5 Replies · 152 Views

Ashe Higgs

My daughter is turning 15, and she's starting to become self conscious about her weight.  I keep telling her she doesn't need to lose weight, she just needs to get in shape.  Trouble is I'm a fairly big guy just by bone structure, and her mother is Samoan, so my daughter has always been well off the "height/weight" charts for her age group.  She's currently about 5' 10" and 180 pounds, which sounds like a lot, but if you've never known a Samoan, you have no idea how dense they are.  Here's a photo of my daughter and I together for reference - 

20160504_071421.jpg

As you can see she's hardly overweight, but my question is, is there anything to be concerned about using the Thrive approach with teens?  I'm not sure how it would be a problem, but it's always best to check in with the boss first...

Jeff Serven

Thrive would work great for teens. But, be very easy with her and make everything a "possible suggestion" rather than a "should do". If she is fit and heathy then 180 is no problem.

Ashe Higgs

I don't have any calipers or electrical impedance device ATM, but she still has a flat belly, no rolls, etc. so I'm not worried about her weight per se.  She's just started getting self conscious about it.  I think her friends mom made her feel uncomfortable recently.

Fit is another story. Unfortunately she takes after her mother in that regard and is happily sedentary despite my own lifestyle and encouragement...

Between being female and a teen it's tough to order her to do anything.  LOL.  However, my attempts to "lead from the front " seem to be failing utterly.

Jeff Serven

My son is 1 so I am soon to find out all this parenting stuff but "leading from the front" is the best way to be. 

Ashe Higgs

Yeah, when she was younger, I never used to have trouble getting her to workout with me like this - 

Then about two years ago it became an entirely different story.

Lemme know if you learn the secrets coach!  I've just been flying by the seat of my pants.  LOL

Jeff Serven

Id imagine I will be raining it till I make it