This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

PE1-im Question

Started by Daniel Taylor-Shaut, August 14, 2016 · 13 Replies · 143 Views

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

So, I'm going to start coming back to this after about a month and a half of consistent training/nutrition days (slowly building back to the routine I left off with). My question, though, is how in the hell do I do the mobility for the first element if I'm training at home, without income to spare (to purchase stall bars)? I used to train at a gym and would use a power rack with weighted bars (similar to what @Leo Trinidad has shown on his IG and Facebook videos), but for right now I'm seeing the most benefits and progress from training Pro+ at home, alone, without the objectionable stares and complaints of confused sextagenerians, which was the case at the previous establishment where I trained.

 

Any insights are appreciated. Should I also include photos of my apt. in case some of you have architectural know-how for how to 'hack' this element? Thanks.

Alessandro Mainente

You need to arrange something using the only available support in the house like door or tables etc. for certain element there is no alternative.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I guess it's up to some improvisation. Might take some weeks to figure this out. If only I could bolt up a ladder or some actual stall bars (but alas I'm not the property owner...)

Maksis Riley

I for a short time used the banisters in my landing, it actually worked quite well. Could try that? You can raise your feet using blocks or books so that you're off the floor too.

 

Max

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
1 hour ago, Maksis Riley said:

I for a short time used the banisters in my landing, it actually worked quite well. Could try that? You can raise your feet using blocks or books so that you're off the floor too.

 

Max

:o Banisters? I'm pretty sure they might break under my weight. I also wouldn't look forward to my landlord's comments if they caught me doing that, lol. Gonna try and look for a ladder somewhere. The bannister idea isn't terrible, but the thought of crashing through certainly is.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Well, I found a ladder. It's in my basement and pretty medieval looking. It's in an alcove where none of the lights reach, but it's cemented into the ground as it's an emergency hatch to the outside. Gonna have to dust the cobwebs off. Form checking will be interesting, but at least I have something with which to work. Any issue with taking the time between PE and im to relocate (since I do most of my workouts in my apartment which is one floor up in the building)?

image.jpeg

Cole Dano

One alternative is using ring straps threaded behind a door.

You'd then hang by holding the strap, somewhat like the photo.

bc5e811b6bed1dae9c6c7cb1a5275232.jpg

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
1 minute ago, Cole Dano said:

One alternative is using ring straps threaded behind a door.

You'd then hang by holding the strap, somewhat like the photo.

lrg-454-p1010116.jpg

 

Well, that is another option that certainly won't leave me as dirty, haha.

Cole Dano

I found a better pic and edited it in, the blankets are not needed obviously.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Well, I tried the door option you mentioned. That certainly was a bit scary. Mainly because the straps sway a little bit, but more so, because I don't really know how strong my door is. They certainly aren't mahogany, and could very well be something a bit cheaper (duh). I'm tempted to give the ladder a try, simply because I know that that thing is not gonna fall on top of me (I've helped move a refrigerator up and down on it -- the one I posted a photo of). If the ladder doesn't suit me well. I'll try the door again. 

 

Edit: Yep, sticking with the archaic ladder. I felt much more secure and less likely to shatter myself, or something else in the process of doing this. The stability of the ladder allowed me to focus on these a bit more. Gonna have to clean up the surrounding area a bit, but that'll come. Thanks for all of the input and ideas. 

Cole Dano

Yeah, I totally understand the fear of a weak door.

The most important thing is to set up so the door opens away from you,  that way it borrows the strength of the wall. If your feet are on the door, set up as low as possible, that's where the door is stronger, maybe even put a piece of plywood against the door, assuming you have one laying around.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
1 minute ago, Cole Dano said:

Yeah, I totally understand the fear of a weak door.

The most important thing is to set up so the door opens away from you,  that way it borrows the strength of the wall. If your feet are on the door, set up as low as possible, that's where the door is stronger, maybe even put a piece of plywood against the door, assuming you have one laying around.

 

Yeah that was the way I had initially tried it, but I just didn't feel comfortable enough to really 'get' into the stretch and let gravity and my bodyweight do the work. The ladder, however, allowed me to do that, without the swaying of my arms. Was quite dusty, but that won't take much time to fix.

Max Lueders

Hi Cole, I have a question on the setting you mentioned with the ring straps. Compared to stall bars, where hands and feet are in one plane, when using the straps the hands are some inches in front of the feet (because the straps also go off the wall). How is that influencing the difficulty of the element? I would guess it becomes easier and that’s why I would have to go deeper with my hips to achieve mastery? And what about this setting concerning other elements like the straddle versions?

Thanks’

Max

Cole Dano

It's easier on the grip, otherwise pretty much the same. 

On the pike/straddle stretch side of it, I personally prefer it because I can concentrate the stretch not the grip and therefore go deeper this way, but then I have the grip of a 5 year old girl.

Fir the straddle versions, it's just fine, feet at the door jamb is about the same width of most stall bars, but you can also put your feet on the wall itself to go wider.