This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Frequency of Training threshold

Started by Alex Pisaturo, August 13, 2016 · 5 Replies · 233 Views

Alex Pisaturo

Hello folks,

I have a quick question concerning the frequency of training for the Foundation One series along with the 3 Stretch once a week series.  

Currently, I have the Foundation series set up for 3x/week with all progressions on each of the days ( I think its 7?) and do each of the 3 stretch series (MSs, TBs, FSs) once a week.  I have been and still consider myself to be an athlete having competed in baseball my whole life (lots of limited IR of shoulder) along with USAF SERE training have kept me quite active.  Also, I am currently 42 years of age.

All that said, I find myself on my daily metrics, logging in a 3/5 for soreness, which I mostly attribute to connective tissue (ie Shoulders [anterior shoulder = bicpes tendon], wrists, hips with some ankles).  My question is, should I continue at the current pace (Tu-Th-Sat Foundation one and Stretch -> Th-Sat-Sun) and this state of connective soreness is expected, or is this constant state of soreness not to be expected and its a recovery issue so I would need to back it down to 2x/week?  Although this will bruise my ego, I am very receptive to altering my workouts from good advice from folks who are more experienced than I.  Of note, this soreness is mildly improved, but never alleviated through the deload week.

Of note, I do do Olympic 5-3-1 for lower extremities on the similar days as GST.

 

Thank you for your time,

 

Alex

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Alex, can you say if the soreness it connected to stretch series or foundations?

Alex Pisaturo
3 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Alex, can you say if the soreness it connected to stretch series or foundations?

Alessandro,

I would probably equate the soreness to more of the stretch series.

Mostly the main soreness is in wrists, so when I put them in positions of extension, say scap shrugs/pushups, the anterior shoulders are sore and noticeable in the TBs series, and my hips are notably sore in all aspects to include frequent anterior hip soreness while squatting during the day for stretches, daily limber I add the elevated frog, and lateral soreness as well.  

The soreness is definitely not significant at all, I am just used to exercise to present with DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) for a few days to weeks, but although different intensities are added, there is mostly some resolution of the soreness.  As I have never included mobility training in my exercises, this may be expected.  I just wanted to make sure that this was acceptable soreness or should I be giving more time to recovery?

Thanks for your time as always,

 

Alex

 

Alessandro Mainente

Well Alex, try for one month to do foundations 2 times a week and 2-3 days of rest in between the lower body stretch series.

Alex Pisaturo
5 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Well Alex, try for one month to do foundations 2 times a week and 2-3 days of rest in between the lower body stretch series.

Got it.  

I'll give that a shot.

Appreciate the feedback

Alex

 

Mark Collins

The stretch series is surprisingly intense. I would also lessen the intensity of the stretch. At 42 you are in it for the long game so don't be too concerned if it takes you longer.