This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Laminectomy at L2/3 & L4/5 - Starting Back Up

Started by Tony Comer, August 12, 2016 · 2 Replies · 70 Views

Tony Comer

I had my 3 week post laminectomy surgery (L2/3 and L4/5) follow up yesterday and asked doc about starting rehab. He said there wasn't a standard rehab program for this type of surgery and to just slowly work my way back into workouts, but to avoid low back hyper extensions for the time being. I was about about 8 weeks into the Foundation Course when I had the surgery so ready to start back up...My back issues were not related to GST, just something that I'd put off for years. 

My questions...Other than the obvious, any big no-no's? I enjoyed the Jefferson Curls pre-surgery and will slowly work my way back into them...Any concerns? The thoracic bridge series may be put on hold for a while?

 

Thanks...Tony

 

Mark Collins

Start at the beginning and progress slow. I would wait until you could do each step twice pain free before moving on. For example when you do bent hollow holds for 3x3 you should have no pain during, that day and the following day. Then repeat 3x3 pain free and move on. You will progress slowly, but safely and it should be nearly impossible to get hurt this way.

Tony Comer

Thanks Mark...Interestly outside of 1 day about 10 weeks ago when I had shooting pain/numbness I've never had pain..But the numbness stayed in the right leg, which motivated me to get the surgery.

I'll take your advice and start from beginning...Thanks again...Tony