Very new to th eGST program, finished Fundamentals and 1 week completed of Foundation 1 and 3 part Stretch series. I must say the Stretch routines are WAAAAAY more intense than the GST workouts. Even while dialing back, I was struggling to complete these. Based on what Coach says about the 1x per week frequency for the stretch series (intensity vs recovery), my concern prior is that the dynamic nature of soccer (sprinting, jumping, kicking, etc) would be too much of a strain in combination with the intensity of the stretch series... Even if done days apart as they are still done in the same week. As I had feared I suffered a mild hamstring pull today early in soccer match. I'll be sidelined now for a few weeks as I heal up, but looking forward I'm wondering if there is a way to set up a program where I can still play & train in my sport, and also buildup tendon/muscle strength & mobility without putting myself at an overload risk. And as far as healing/rehabbing goes, should I abandon GST for the time being or is there a way to tweak the program to work around it? Due to the connective nature of the hamstrings to the posterior chain, I don't know if I should do full body movements while trying to recover. The strain is mild, and I can still walk... just super tight.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Intensity/recovery/injury
Started by Jason De Knegt, August 10, 2016 · 4 Replies · 142 Views
Hey Jason,
Let's see what @Wesley Tan and @Mark Collins have to say. You don't want to cause any more damage so back off in the meantime.
Checking in... I've been going to a Physical Therapist to expedite my hamstring recovery. It's been two weeks so far at 3x per week and as per Dr's orders, I've not stretched or activated Hamstrings outside of therapy. Trying to manipulate GST foundation series so I can still train somewhat but still a bit lost as Im doing some stuff and omitting others and I don't know if I'm ruining the program. Is that ok or does the whole program only work in its entirety? I've written on the forum a few times and written in directly looking for help with programming but have not gotten much help. Thinking of abandoning GST while in PT and using my off days to try to build some muscle in the weight room... at least until I get clearance for full action from PT. It's been a bit frustrating. Don't know if its too much on my plate to try to enjoy my sport, maintain strength and muscle mass, and increase true mobility using GST.
No Jason it is fine to work around a problem, usually in the 99.99% we can prevent injury from bad programming but sometimes sxxt happens and we need to manage carefully the other thing. did you have a clear diagnosis of your hamstring?
Yes, only a hamstring strain. Doc said I should be field fit within a few weeks (Im a soccer player) To sum up my history, I've had many tendon/muscle pulls & strains over the years playing soccer & MMA. Always had a good range of flexibility but not so much strength in the end ranges of motion. The injuries usually come when I'm still sore from prior training sessions, and/or I have an explosive contraction while at full extension. After recovery Im trying to figure out a programming setup where I can still play my sport, improve my deficits in strength & mobility.. and somehow maintain what little muscle mass i carry. I've also been weightlifting since I was 13 (I'm 37 now) trying to put on muscle, but with a super fast metabolism and high activity sports I've never been able to get over 168 lbs (Im 5'10") Putting on and retaining weight has always been a struggle. I've recently dropped down to 158 inexplicably and have been getting hammered on the field.