This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

T1/3.4

Started by Christian Nogueira, August 10, 2016 · 40 Replies · 799 Views

Christian Nogueira

 

 The drill they do at minute 1:00, would be beneficial to add to my warmup (along with the rest of Quadrepal Movement), focusing on opening the hip and trying to be a little controlled. Or is it too advanced and not recommended at this time ?

Tumbling 1 calls this just extended forward roll. Does this roll have a more specific name ? I've been researching this a bit and it seems to be a variation of a dive roll, albeit I have seen variations where the roll is done with bent arms and advanced variations where it's really more of a dive. Hecht dive roll also seems to come up.

Matthew Hanham

One of the things to remember is that strictly speaking, when executing this movement, there is no rolling until the shoulders touch the ground.  The difficultly can be smoothly transitioning between rotating around the fixed pivot at the wrists to rotating around a point that is moving along the floor and down your spine.  It can help to focus on this.  Keep the head tucked in, as soon as the very upper back touches the floor, do what is necessary to keep that contact point moving down the spine (and don't let the contact point elongate). 

Opening the hips as previously mentioned is important in an additional (to slowing the rotation) way.  But you have to open them just right, not too much and not too little.  When your shoulder touch the ground, you want your center of gravity to be very slightly in front of the contact point with the ground, so that you roll as smoothly as possible.  Behind and you will tend to fold up.  To far in front and you'll tend to impact the ground more heavily.

Christian Nogueira

Got a couple more reps to evaluate:

I think I'm diving too much into the roll like too much forward momentum. In the technique video, it looks like Jeffrey is like falling more into the roll (if this makes sense), like he places his hands on the floor, does a slight hop upward with the legs and then it's kind of like he just rolls because of some very slight forward momentum that he gained by lowering his upper body into the floor.

Also one, question, is my hand placement wrong where I put my first knuckles on the floor with hands slightly to the side (for some reason palms on the floor facing forward messes up my roll as it tend to slam my back into the mat).

Got to keep working on this.

 

Alessandro Mainente

The problem is still showed but definitely less, you have to reduce more the pike at the hips at the beginning. btw nice improvements, welcome in the technical world of GST.

Christian Nogueira

Thanks Alessandro. 

I will try to open the hips more. I think I need less speed going into the roll as if I think if open the hips more with my current form I'll contact the mat lower on the back which, atleast that's what my mind thinks happens when I do the roll (there's some fear at play sometimes after a bad rep). 

What do you think about the hands, does it matter if I have hand slightly to the side rather than straight forward ?

 

Christian Nogueira

Got a few more reps to evaluate. I think something is finally starting to click with me on this movement, the reps (specially 2nd on this video which I think was the best one on the whole block of training minutes I assigned for this movement) felt much smoother, slower and controlled when I focused on getting the hands in the same position as Jeffrey's and trying to be more "vertical" in the entry of the roll (thinking more like placing the hands almost like for a handstand instead of doing a diving motion). 

Alessandro Mainente

I prefer them to the side to that wrists does not prevent the leaning forward of the shoulders, 

nice work christian.

Christian Nogueira

I'm going for a few weeks to work on improving this form and getting consistency across the reps. What I have been doing currently with this movement is simply train it for 10 minutes, get a couple of reps filmed in for review. I feel like I'm now on the right track so hopefully I'll be able to start to be able to chain reps and start using the reps template from the program.

Many thanks Alessandro for the guidance in this.

Christian Nogueira

 

Some more reps. Still working on this.

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Christian,

It looks good, nice work. Make sure that before you start your roll you hit a nice starting position without moving the feet. Keep up the good work!

Christian Nogueira

Doing some more. I think the linking of two rolls needs work.

 

Everett Carroll

Hi Christian,

Your second roll wasn't quite as extended. Work on extending just as much as the first. Otherwise, nice job.

Christian Nogueira

Thanks Everett. Yeah I definitely see that. I think it's that the move is not yet fully programmed in my mind, for the first roll I can take my time thinking about the cues, now I need to make it more natural.

Christian Nogueira

Some more for posterity. It's funny, that back when I started this how I had no clue :).

Jeffrey Bittner

Awesome work, Christian. It looks good!

Christian Nogueira

Thanks Jeffrey, that's encouraging to hear :).