This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Milk & greek yoghurt: cow/sheep/goat - which one is better?

Started by Alessandro Di Sanzo, August 10, 2016 · 2 Replies · 68 Views

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hi guys!

Maybe It was just mentioned in a previous thread...

In my country it is possible to find whole milk mostly from cow, sometimes from goat and also sheep. I always had cow milk for breakfast, so I was considering to add the other two as well!

Also, Regarding greek yogurt, I usually find it only from cow; very difficult from the another animals mentioned. 

Now that I'm in greece on vacation, I found quite easily sheep greek yogurt, and I liked it very much! 

Now my question: is there a type of greek yogurt / whole milk that could be the best? I suppose that not only the taste is different! Is there a winner in terms of fat and/or protein quality/amount? Cow, sheep or goat? In any case could I plan to add each one of these to my diet?

Thank you!

 

Julia Quigley

I think that what defines the best dairy isn't which of the three animals it comes from, but the quality of the animals that produce it. For instance, I'd rather have milk from pastured sheep than milk from cows that are grain-fed year round. 

That said---if you get the opportunity to select a milk/dairy product from pastured sheep, pastured goats, OR pastured cows, then I think you'd need to do more research about the properties of the milks and see what fits your current needs better. For example, I believe sheep's milk is higher in fat than cow's milk, which could be good (healthy fats are great for us!), or it could be you're getting healthy fats from other sources and that would be too much fat for your meal/dietary goals. A google search could probably tell you what you need. 

Overall, instead of focusing on the "best," I'd prioritize dairy by 1) the quality of life of the animals producing it and 2) variety/what you enjoy. 

 

Also--I've never had sheep's milk greek yogurt, but I'd love to try it! I love cheese from sheep's milk or goat milk. 

Alessandro Di Sanzo
24 minutes ago, Julia Quigley said:

I think that what defines the best dairy isn't which of the three animals it comes from, but the quality of the animals that produce it. For instance, I'd rather have milk from pastured sheep than milk from cows that are grain-fed year round. 

That said---if you get the opportunity to select a milk/dairy product from pastured sheep, pastured goats, OR pastured cows, then I think you'd need to do more research about the properties of the milks and see what fits your current needs better. For example, I believe sheep's milk is higher in fat than cow's milk, which could be good (healthy fats are great for us!), or it could be you're getting healthy fats from other sources and that would be too much fat for your meal/dietary goals. A google search could probably tell you what you need. 

Overall, instead of focusing on the "best," I'd prioritize dairy by 1) the quality of life of the animals producing it and 2) variety/what you enjoy. 

 

Also--I've never had sheep's milk greek yogurt, but I'd love to try it! I love cheese from sheep's milk or goat milk. 

Thanks @Julia Quigley for your reply! I had a quick look on nutritional info, and you're right: it looks that sheep milk  has  mainly more fats (maybe also a bit more proteins), as well as more calories! 

It could be a good idea to add it especially in the days where my breakfast is mainly about greek yoghurt! Too bad that I found it only here in Greece, I'm going to search further in Italy too! If cow, sheep and goat are all compatible with Thrive, I'm going to play with all varieties mentioned!