This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS/PE1

Started by Matthew Wood 215940, August 10, 2016 · 18 Replies · 407 Views

Matthew Wood 215940

Hi everyone, My Name is Matt, and I am on week 2 of the foundation course.  I have a question regarding progression with the single leg squat 1st excercise.  I can get low enough in the squat, and I can squat back up from there, but I can't get back on my feet to squat up after rolling onto my back.  I will start adding matts to see if that helps figure out the movement, however how does that count on accomplishing the rep count?  Do I count the number of reps I can do with the mat's in place, or do I stay at a 3 rep count until I can do them without the mat?  Thanks for all your help.

Also in other news I have crazy tight hamstrings and a really sore left shoulder.  (shoulder is getting ART treatment as we speak and is sore at the front of the socket joint.) Should I start doing Jefferson curls every day to receive my hamstrings? QL walks unfortunately didn't loosen them!  any others I can work in? ... and any ideas for the shoulder?  Thanks again. 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Matt please post a video of your problem with the squat? if you can hold the bottom position of a legs together squat then your problem is only technical.

For your hamstring you should reach at least the mastery of the MN IM1.

Handstand 1, T-spine stretch series, RC for foundations and HBP give enough shoulders mobility exercises.

Matthew Wood 215940

Perfect thank you for the areas to look at I will video my squat and see what you think though it will be tomorrow before I can accomplish that, and find a way to post it.  Thanks again. 

 

Luke Searra

We will be waiting for your video Mathew

Ketill Ágústsson

Hi guys,

this is actually my first night and I'm having a similar problem. I can't stand up from the bottom position properly. I'm keeping my feet together and suspect my quad flexibility is a limiting factor. 

Here's the video for reference

If anybody has any tips for progress they'd be much appreciated! 

-Ketill

Alessandro Mainente

not your quad but your ankles, if you can passively flex the knee with heel to the butt you have full rom on quad.

as stated before can you hold the bottom position of a legs together squat?

Ketill Ágústsson

Standing up, I can just manage to pull the heel back to the butt. Furthermore I cannot hold the bottom position, as soon as I pass parallel I loose balance and fall ass backwards.

Luke Searra

I also believe your ankles are your limiting factor Ketill (I've seen thousands of squats).

Ketill Ágústsson

Sounds like it, thanks for the swift analysis! Do you guys have any pro tips for remedies? 

Luke Searra

Outside of GB SLS (Single Leg Squat) curriculum, I would recommend greasing the squat groove by squatting when you defecate (this is not a joke). :)

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
5 minutes ago, Luke Searra said:

Outside of GB SLS (Single Leg Squat) curriculum, I would recommend greasing the squat groove by squatting when you defecate (this is not a joke). :)

#SquattyPotty lol

Luke Searra

hahaha that's exactly right, no joke

 

Ketill Ágústsson
20 hours ago, Luke Searra said:

Outside of GB SLS (Single Leg Squat) curriculum, I would recommend greasing the squat groove by squatting when you defecate (this is not a joke). :)

Hahaha, actually just got home from a six month trip to South Asia. Unfortunately I did all my SquattyPotty there feet wide! 

Greatest thanks! 

Luke Searra

This stretch is part of the front splits course and inside that course there is are great ankle flexibility exercises. Consider adding front splits to your GB library.13951041_10154282265645953_506555965_o.jpg

Matthew Wood 215940

Hi Gys, Thank you all for posting some of the videos and reviews were very helpful to me.  Here is my video for anyone who feels like it to give me pointers!  Of course the first two I actually made (first two Ive made ever! Typical right) I am still too far back though I think, as you can see by my arms among other things.  I may be in the same ankle boat as the gentleman above, but will be curious to see what you guys think.  Thank you.

 

Everett Carroll

Looks good Matthew! Now that you have completed a couple, start working through the steps. 

Martin Jones

@Ketill Ágústsson my Deck Squat looks identical to yours. I also do that little stumble backwards as I push up from the bottom of the squat. I am now using 3 mats to aid the lack of ankle ROM and they are now relatively easy to do. I'm just continuing up to the required reps before dropping down to 2 mats. This may help you too.

Barry Bethay

Nice work

Mark Allen

Hi Matthew,

Ihad a couple of break throughs which really helped me when working on the deck squats, they are in the following forum post. Hopefully the following link will take you to the right place, if not my posts are on the second page.

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/24157-deck-squats/?page=2

Mark