This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Lower body strength

Started by Ryan Van Fleet, August 9, 2016 · 9 Replies · 272 Views

Ryan Van Fleet

I just started and am working my way through the fundamentals. Looking ahead it seemed that the program is light on the lower body.  I saw there are pistol squats and some other squat variations, but coming from a body building back ground and seeing some results it look like it was missing.

 

Can someone set me straight if this not the case or recommend an supplement?

Luke Searra

Hello Ryan I am not 100% sure what you mean. Do you mean if the lower body GST variations are too easy that the forum coaches would help give you harder variations? Or is this question more geared toward hypertrophy as opposed to strength? (Please try the SLS variations before your final decision).

The SLS is very carefully thought out not easy.

We do not currently recommend any kind of bodybuilding oriented supplementation on the forums you can however check out the GB Thrive course for habit based nutrition as supplementation.

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/gb-courses/gb-thrive/

 

Screen Shot 2016-08-09 at 7.17.08 PM.png

Jon Douglas

Weighted work for max strength / hypertrophy is one option, which we recommend after completing the SLS stream. There is quite a bit of discussion on weighted leg work in the F3 forum

In gymnastics, lower body hypertrophy is not a major priority and like the upper body, once a framework of basic strength and mobility is achieved dynamic strength becomes the training focus.

Digging back somewhat further in the Basic Strength forum, Joshua Naterman posted quite a bit back in the day (circa 2009-2011) about weighted leg work for GST. Whilst the courses have evolved and are vastly superior to what was previously available, there is still a great deal of material and information there for a hypertrophy /lifting focus :)

Luke Searra

Also bear in mind Ryan that if you add too much mass to your legs you will make certain movements in _GST_ more difficult.

Ryan Van Fleet

Hi thanks for the information.

I wasn't asking for nutritional supplements, I was asking for lower body exercises. The thrive package is interesting, but all the parts are so expensive I had to skip that module. I have a pretty good background in nutrition. 

I have no Idea what SLS is. The information portions of the packages and course are very undescriptive and hard to get any information from. 

Just from what I could see of the routines particular Foundation 1 it is heavily focused on upper body and looked like the program largely ignores lower body strength outside of pistol squats.

I like/prefer the idea of functional strength, but don't want to look like those guys that are all torso and have tiny chicken legs.

 

 

Everett Carroll

The single leg squat work from Foundations 1 will surprise you. Since you have a background in weightlifting, you likely won't build more mass in the lower body from the SLS work. You will, however, address all of your deficiencies and be better prepared than ever for weighted lower body work by the end of it. Since you like and prefer the idea of functional strength, I can guarantee you won't be disappointed. 

Hans Fredrik Krogh

If you follow foundation's SLS leg work for 12 weeks and add in just one or two sets of your squat and deadlift 90% of max lift, don't increase this,, then retest 1RM, I'll put money down on result that will please you.

sincerly

F

Jon Douglas

Mm, sorry, always had stumpy treestumps for legs so this isn't something I've looked too much.... >.<

Hubert Campos

I know SLS will give me strong functional legs, but what can I expect from Foundations in terms of size and looks? (I am not looking for bodybuilder or Olympic track cycling legs, but I'd like a little extra size and tone)

I was wondering about leg development, and was about to open a new tread.

 

Alessandro Mainente

Your legs will respond at the correct nutrition and training schedule. Foundations prepares the legs for future plyometric training as:

-rebounding

-jumping

-absorbing