Pointed Toes On Tumbling?

Started by jamesters, December 13, 2009 · 6 Replies · 2,721 Views

jamesters

I was told that even during round off, back hand spring, and back flips the toes should be pointed. I was practicing doing round offs very slowly so I could experiment with pointing toes. I can point them, but then I have to flex my feet (or at least stop pointing so greatly) towards the end to land on my feet, otherwise I'll end on the back of my feet. Now, round offs, back hand springs, etcetera, generally go by very quickly. The toe point would only last a fraction of a second anyways before having to stop the point. Is it really crucial to make sure the toes are pointed upon entering a RO, BHS, or flip? Also, does that apply to all types of flips or should feet be flexed for some flips? It's very difficult to concentrate on pointing in such small amount of time.

Seiji

Are you a competing gymnast Jamesters? If not, I don't see why you would need to. It probably won't help your tumbling, but it would make it look nicer. That, and it'll help you remember to jump all the way through your toes.

lol I finally got banned from TT. Lasts 'til the 15th.

jamesters

Just recently I've joined a competitive team. Even if I didn't though, I'd still like to know how to do skills with good form.

Haha, what'd you get banned for?

Seiji

oooOOOoooo

Competitive cheerleading? I found out Vellu is a cheerleader o.o

Either way, I would then recommend pointing the toes.

jamesters

Ha, not cheerleading, acro actually.

jamesters

I just reviewed footage of Jordan Jovtchev and Shawn Johnson and noticed they don't point. I figure it doesn't matter.

Seiji

ACRO IS AWESOME good choice