This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Elbow injury

Started by Jaromir Stopka, August 9, 2016 · 19 Replies · 184 Views

Jaromir Stopka

Hi folks,

I am quite desperate as I have painful elbow over three weeks and still not recovering as pain is still same.I would say that most paintful it is when pulling....even a door.Pushing is quite ok.I got elbow immobilizer from doctor but its not been  really helpful so far.Pls enyone have the similar experience? This is my actual training ......FL/PE14 sPL/SE3 MN/SE4 SL/PE10 HBP/PE17 RC/P19  Thank You

Jaromir Stopka

PS:The pain comes from inner side of elbow..not cubital fossa

Alessandro Mainente

What are the exercise of foundations where are you feeling pain?

Did you train with pain?

Jaromir Stopka

Yes I trained with pain..but only a few training sesions.RC exercise..thats the most painful

Jaromir Stopka

and also classic pull ups when I am warming up

Everett Carroll

Rest. Stop training through the pain.

Jaromir Stopka

Everett..thats what I did...three weeks ago..but pain still remains... i can feel it when pulling doors or doing some home work

Tanya Hill

Jaromir, 

Elbow pain can be very tricky. Make sure you ice it during your rest time. Im interested to know where your shoulder mobility is at. Tight shoulder can lead to tight forearms and wrist. 

Jaromir Stopka

Hi Tanya...by my opimiom my shoulder mobility is not that bad as used to be..in last 6 months I worked on it seriously

Alessandro Mainente

Sometime it is enough one single session to increase the time of recovery. Usually if the pain does not decrease after 5-6 days probably you are experimenting a less intense version of chronic pain . you need more then 3 weeks. I'm sorry about that, you are learning from your mistakes.

Andrew Tan

Sometimes it can take much longer than a few weeks to heal, i had golfer elbow injury for very long time, i think it took 6 months to heal, and now i have it on the other elbow for a pretty long time too. The hard truth is, you just need to make a better decision, and rest. Yea it does suck alot

Mikkel Ravn

Pain on the inside of the elbow, which is triggered by pulling, sounds like medial epicondylitis aka. golfer's elbow. 

Check it out, see if the diagnosis fits your symptoms. 

It can take a VERY long time to heal, personally it took me 9 months to get rid of it 5 years ago. 

First phase is rest 4-8 weeks where no pain whatsoever should be allowed, then very slow rehab. During rehab, don't ever train through more pain than 1 or 2 on a scale of 10.

If you don't follow this rule you are f***ing yourself up. 

Jaromir Stopka

could it be a syndrom of tenis elbow?

Alessandro Mainente

Check a physio, golfer elbows it is related to the outer part of the elbow (more extensor carpii then inner elbow).

Cole Dano

These are the classic symptoms of medial epicondylitis a.ka. Golfer's Elbow.

Ravn's post above is the correct course of action, and yes it can really be a bugbear. 

The level of pain you are describing makes it well worth a trip to a physiotherapist who can give you a rehabilitation program to follow.

Leo Trinidad

yes stop training through pain. best to have it checked first. i always stop when i feel pain but i never stop training at all. i train other exercises wherein there is no pain at all.

Niels Joergensen

Hi Jaromir, 

The title of the topic is: Elbow Injury
However you are asking for help to resolve elbow pain. Injury and pain are NOT the same thing, and that is a critical distinction to make. 
It is well established that pain is highly individual and determined by bio-psycho-social factors. The attempt to give you a specific cause through a forum for such a complex phenomenon as pain is simply incorrect and potentially harmful. 

Quote

It can take a VERY long time to heal

 

Quote

If you don't follow this rule you are f***ing yourself up

 

Quote

The hard truth is, you just need to make a better decision


I would advise everyone commenting on someone who has pain and ask for help, to consider the way they express themselves. What you say have a significant and negative impact on his fear and beliefs of pain. How is this way of phrasing a situation helpful for him to reduce his pain?

I will advice you to seek out a pain specialist, so that you in combination with a professional can decide on the best strategy for you to become pain free. 

If you are interested here are some references for further education:

https://www.painscience.com/
'Why things hurt' - Youtube.com
https://www.facebook.com/Paincloudcom-1424406501212355/?fref=ts
http://knowpain.co.uk/

I'm sure you will feel better soon! 

All the best, 

Niels

Cole Dano

Neils I'm well versed in pain science, however tendonosis is a well know pathology that needs to be treated as such and differs from a chronic pain issue which requires a very different mindset.

Niels Joergensen

I am merely saying that I do not think it is advisable to diagnose someone in a forum setting. There are so many variables which we do not know about from the little information that he presented. If we lack information about him and the context of his pain, then how is it possible to say it is tendonosis? I argue it is not. 

When a simple cause for a complex problem like pain is presented, it is very likely incorrect. And if it is incorrect, it will make it harder for him to become pain free. 

It was not meant as an attack on anyone just to be clear on that!

Regards,

Niels
 

Cole Dano

No offence taken. :)

Of course, I agree diagnosis shouldn't be me made, which is why everyone is saying go see someone, in person, who can make one.

But, this is a pretty common problem, as I said, he describes the classic symptoms of golfer's elbow. It's something we see everyday, so it's safe to assume and more importantly, the advice being given is very conservative. We don't want him to further exacerbate the problem by training through it. Especially since one of the vexing issues with tendonosis is that the pain can often disappear during training, only to come back, often worse, soon thereafter.

Still, it's no replacement for seeing a professional, in person, who can give a best opinion. Which is the primary recommendation.