This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Back pain questions from a beginner

Started by Richard Laye, August 9, 2016 · 5 Replies · 130 Views

Richard Laye

So, I'm a premed student with more than 10 years of "exercising" under my belt (meaning I didn't realize how much I was breaking myself until starting to try and fix myself with GST). I have slight scoliosis; not the kind that is debilitating or even all that significant. No degeneration of the discs or vertebrae (according to MRI). The only thing that I have is lower back pain, unilateral on the right side around about T12/L1 area. Its not persistent, and is much less frequent when I sleep flat on my back, as well as when I am exercising regularly. One thing I have noticed, however, is that when I do hamstring work, my muscles get tight as expected. This isn't accompanied by pain or loss of strength during exercise but will occasionally lead to pain the next day or so. What brings on the hurt more immediately however is when I try to stretch out a tight hamstring that I've previously been working out. I can feel it stretching and it hurts a bit (in that good way a muscle you just worked out the day before might hurt when you go to stretch it) but that pales in comparison to the pain it brings on when stretching. I know about anterior pelvic tilt (APT) and i get a sense that this is what my problem is, however I am still working on PPT while performing hamstring stretches (that requires a lot of focus for me) and when, say, standing and trying to put my palms on the ground next to my feet (and in turn stretching the tight hamstrings) it triggers the pain. Its not a sharp pain that radiates down my leg at all. Its like a dull throb that is localized that becomes slowly significant enough to cause a bit of nausea, however again...no loss of strength and no undue shortness or breath. So here's my question, after that long drawn out message: should I be worried? has/is anyone else dealt/dealing with scoliotic back pain that doesn't radiate into the legs? I know people say staying active will help, but I wonder if what they really mean is "it will help stave off degenerative processes, but ill always have to exercise with some level of pain." Should I really be trying for PPT when doing toe touches? (the reason I ask is...if the quads are engaged, then by default the hamstrings should not be [im trying to keep the knees extended while performing the exercise] but the hamstrings are at least partially involved in posterior tilting of the pelvis [unless I'm mistaken] along with the glutes.) From the stretched position, are people achieving glute activation while trying to stretch their hamstrings? 

 

Additionally, I have one more concern (I apologize, i'm still a beginner, only 3 weeks into fundamentals). When I go to try the ape position, I am easily able to sit all the way into it with heels on the floor. I occasionally notice that upon going all the way down that my knees will make a popping sound. Upon trying to stand up, I then get a little bit curious/worried about the long term health of my knees if I am performing this exercise (squatting down into fully flexed knee-type position), specifically of the meniscus. Is this kind of squatting going to cause damage to the menisci over time? 

Thanks for the patience everyone. I'm looking forward to continuing all the way until I either master all of the GST exercise or have died because I like it so much. I am always trying to sell my friends on it. Hopefully over the years it will provide me with the joint health and mobility I desire. For reference in case it is of use in answering the questions I've posed above: I'm 32, 6'3, 180 pounds. I eat fairly well, and I drink predominantly a glass or two of red wine every evening or two. 

Everett Carroll

Hey Richard,

I'm sure @Wesley Tan and @Mark Collins have some good advice. In the meantime, be patient with your body and avoid triggering those pains. I highly recommend seeing a physio about these issues.

Wesley Tan

YOU SHOULD NOT BE PERFORMING HAMSTRING STRETCHES WITH PPT!!!!!

Pike folds, pancakes etc should all be performed with ATP, otherwise your lower back recieves all the load and thus it is telling you something is wrong by hurting.

When you stretch your hamstrings you initiate a strong ATP to lift the sitting bones away from the heels, there by lengthening the distance between origins and stretching.

Having a slight scoliosis is not the cause but will be a predisposing factor as to why the pain/pressure builds more on one side.

Back off from the hamstring stretches for a while (1 week) and when you return remember to ATP. 

Please see the technical videos in the Front Splits series for correct execution of pike folds.

 

Richard Laye

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm really enjoying it all so far. I'll give the hamstrings a break as suggested and start reading through the forum before I ask more questions. 

Philip Papandrea
Quote

YOU SHOULD NOT BE PERFORMING HAMSTRING STRETCHES WITH PPT!!!!!

I'm assuming Jefferson curl is an exception to this rule since the exercise is purposely targeting the back muscles. Is that correct? 

Jon Douglas
8 hours ago, Philip Papandrea said:

I'm assuming Jefferson curl is an exception to this rule since the exercise is purposely targeting the back muscles. Is that correct? 

Jefferson curl discussion will need to take place in the relevant course forum :)