This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Straddle planche

Started by Brandon Iannuzzi, August 8, 2016 · 4 Replies · 145 Views

Brandon Iannuzzi

Hey guys,

So I am 17 at 5'10 155lbs and ive  been training for about 8 months with body weight training and i have just recently bought the foundations. I have advanced on all 7 elements but have now hit a brick wall with the planche. I am unable to hold the bent arm half straddle planche. I can do the other progressions like the planche leans and frog stand  but i am unable to hold the next progression. I can hold a tuck bent arm planche for about 15 sec.What is the scapular position for the bent arm planche? Maybe that is a reason for my lack of strength? What should i do? 

Everett Carroll

The scapular position is protracted and depressed, just like other planche work. Can you post a video of the bent arm straddle planche iM and sPL/PE5. PLL is great for finding deficiencies in sPL work.

Brandon Iannuzzi

 i also added some PP pushups at the end

 

Everett Carroll

On the prone half straddle hold, you want to have your thighs higher so they are level with your hips.

The second PLL video was a better angle and the form looked better than the first. You should lean further and reduce fidgeting. Also, you lost some protraction towards the end. I highly recommend revisiting this element to work on form and the iM.

The PPP needs more lean and doing them on the tops of your feet will help achieve that. You also have piked hips. Again, I recommend spending more time on this element to perfect the form.

Overall, I see lots of little issues that can be fixed by spending more time on the basics. Going back to the basic movements will save many headaches later on. Ask @Leo Trinidad. 

Leo Trinidad

I definitely agree with @Everett Carroll on everything. Please do revisit the previous elements. Mastering those will hasten your progress. 

Lack of strength in your lean(scapular strength), core, glutes and legs will definitely affect your bent arm half straddle planche.

All of these can be addressed by giving extra effort on the previous early elements.