This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SPL/PE5 form check

Started by Stephen Young, August 8, 2016 · 8 Replies · 118 Views

Stephen Young

Hi everybody,

I've just started sPL/PE5 and wanted to get a form check.  Am I leaning forward enough or should I try lean more?

Thank you!

Everett Carroll

Looks great!

Stephen Young

Awesome, thanks Everett. 

Leo Trinidad

i agree with Everett. just want to add that if you can focus more of the protraction on the upper back, that will really help in the more advanced progressions @Stephen Young :)

Stephen Young

Thanks Leo, I also noticed the protraction is centered around my mid back. How do I fix that, more PPT? I'm having trouble visualizing what I need to do to move the protraction higher up the spine.

Alessandro Mainente

If your protraction is around the mid  back this is good,it means a strong depression.

Petri Widsten

So to get this straight, if one's middle back is strongly rounded while the scapula are depressed, it means that the rounding is due to protraction, but if the scapula are not well depressed, the rounding is due to thoracic spine movement? If not, what are the signs to look for to separate protraction from thoracic rounding?

Alessandro Mainente

A strong protraction is revealed by anterior muscles contraction exactly under the armpit and close the lats, they tend to form a little wing, typical of serratus anterior. 

It is difficult to make some aesthetic difference from curled spine with passive protraction and curled spine with active protraction, but if you are doing it correctly you should feel cramps during PL leans.

Stephen Young

Awesome, thanks for the input guys. Really appreciate the great feedback I always get on this forum