This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

some questions about potaotes are all these varieties favorable?

Started by Alessandro Di Sanzo, August 8, 2016 · 5 Replies · 117 Views

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hi all!

Before following thrive the only kind of potatoes I used to eat was the classical yellow variety, but I realized there are many others I can find in my country as well.

I simply fell in love with sweet potatoes! too bad they are not a typical variety of my country (except a couple of months in the year  where they are cultivated even in my country, they come from America).

 Especially in this season the following varities are the most present in my country: red potatoes and "novelle" (sorry, I don't know exactly how they are called in other countries). Basically both are small size and with a thin skin, so they can be cooked without peeling them. Here's a pic:

"novelle" variety:

unnamed.jpg

red potatoes:

unnamed (1).jpg

However there are other ones too. For example I saw another variety, with purple colour.

patate-viola.jpg

 

- Now, I wonder if all these kinds I have seen can be considered as most favorable for Thrive, just like the already mentioned white potatoes and sweet potatoes. Can I "play" with these different varieties?

- If yes, regarding the first two small size varieties I mentioned, could it be a good idea to not remove the skin? I read that skin contains a great amount of fibers, so it is suggested to keep it.

- in the end,I usually eat potatoes steaming/boiling or roasting. how about frying? I wonder if this kind of cooking is acceptable just like the first ones, or it is better to avoid or limit it.

Thanks to all!!

Alessandro  

Jared Birbeck

I say definitely play with the potatoes. Those purple potatoes are great. But as you get into it you'll discover that different potatoes are good for different things. We get a lot of red skinned desiree potatoes and they are rubbish for roasting but work really well for making gnocchi. I'm pretty sure our 'standard' potato is a Coliban, a fairly good allrounder but I find it is often a bit 'wet'.

There are so many different varieties, and I am fairly certain even the 'low GI' varieties are all largely the same. Waxy or Floury.

re the skin, depends on what you are making. I leave it on for most things but take it off for mash and sometimes for roasting if I am twice cooking.

I'd avoid frying if you are thinking deep frying.

 

 

Jeff Serven

Virtually all potatoes are good. If you want to get super nerd I think peeling a sweet potato removes a specific anti nutrient(cant remember which one, google it) but yes Alessandro the skim of white, red and purple have good nutrients. I want to say a majority of the B vitamins are in the skin of the white potato and almost none in the flesh. 

+1 on the purple potatoes

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Thanks very much @Jared Birbeck and @Jeff Serven for your time! Glad to know about that! I have completed Thrive course a few months ago, but I aim to improve more and more my habits, with much more quality and variety. Thanks again for your help! :)

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Since I found both purple and magenta-love potatoes in the market I bought them istantly!

In the label it is said that the ideal cooking method for magenta potatoes is boiled, while for the purple variation a good choice is to make them as mashed. 

I was thinking that considering these methods of cooking, one option could be add magenta potatoes for dinner and purple potatoes for lunch.

Since that the recipe for mashed potatoes foresees to add a certain amount of milk and butter, could it be a good combo of starches and fat for lunch?

Thank you!

 

 

 

Jeff Serven

Sure. 

I first came across the purple potato in Hawaii. They called it the Okinawa potato, google that and maybe it will give you another good recipe.