This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Thoracic Mobility hurts my knees

Started by Angela Efros, August 7, 2016 · 7 Replies · 94 Views

Angela Efros

The thoracic mobility exercise causes some pain in my knees. I've always avoided bridge poses in yoga because instead of feeling the benefits for the back, I'm focusing instead on the pain I feel in my knees. What should I be doing to fix that? Also, is there an easier exercise to "feel" the movement of the thoracic spine? I can't really feel how and where I'm supposed to move and it seems like I'm not getting the movement right. 

Everett Carroll

Hi Angela,

I recommend you see a physio about the pain in your knees. Until then, scale the thoracic exercises as needed. We can see if @Wesley Tan or @Mark Collins have any other suggestions.

 

Mark Collins

Can you post a video or picture.

Angela Efros

I couldn't figure out how to upload a video but here are screen shots of me doing the exercise. When I do this bridge it seems to create a lot of tension and the muscles around my knees feel very tight afterwards. 

Screen Shot 2016-08-09 at 10.09.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-09 at 10.09.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-09 at 10.08.35 PM.png

Mark Collins

There is nothing obvious there. Usually a bridge will not hurt the knees unless you have an underlying lumbar or thoracic problem. Can you explain in more detail about the pain you have, when it bothers you most and what treatment you have had for it.

Angela Efros

The center to bottom of my right knee feels sore when I go into the bridge position. Then afterwards my knees feel tight, as in the muscles are very tight and sore. The right knee seems to get the most issue, but it does effect both knees. I'm only 26, but I've had knee "pain" for many years. I've always assumed it was from not having the correct alignment during exercise because it was never very serious and always came after doing squats or running. Because of that, in recent years, when I've become more cautious, I've avoided squats when possible. 

Luke Searra

@Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Sounds like either a patello-femoral, patella tendonipathy, lumbar or thoracic dysfuntion. Your problem is too complex to solve online, so I recommend that you get some treatment off a physio or osteopath. 

The ggod thing is the bridge has exposed a problem thatvyou now have to get fixed. You will be better for it in the long term.