This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hamstring cramps

Started by Tomas Johansson, August 6, 2016 · 4 Replies · 78 Views

Tomas Johansson

I am recovering from a fractured wrist and I'm just starting to get ready for some bridge work. Problem is I get massive cramps in my hamstrings, how do I deal with that?

Jon Douglas

Can you be more specific? Are you simply irritating them with unaccustomed volume/tension? Which positions cause the cramps?

Alessandro Mainente

Hamstring cramps appear when rectus femoris especially the portion which flexes the knee it is too tight. this factor is combined to the fact that hamstring must be used to hold the feet into the ground when there is a poor thoracic extension. cramps in hamstring while doing bridge it is a good sign of not enough t-spine and bridge should be performed only elevated.

Tomas Johansson

Thanks for your replies, I get the cramps while trying elevated bridge for instance.

Eva Pelegrin

Hi Tomas, I have that tendency too. What seems to help is to pre stretch my rectus femoris and in my case, the 1-joint hip flexors. Also when performing elevated bridge, I make sure to slowly straighten my legs (in and out of position) until I get "acclimated" because a too fast leg push or sudden movement will trigger the cramps.