This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Tweaking the Training

Started by Kevin Herring, August 5, 2016 · 12 Replies · 267 Views

Kevin Herring

How do you (and how should I) adjust the training schedule to allow for an "off" schedule?  This has as much as anything to do with the GB Pro+ programming.  I did the 4 day split for a while and changed to the 3 day split.  But really haven't looked at other templets.

I work rotating shifts, getting married in three months, remodeling a couple of houses, etc., etc., and so on.  This has been a heavy week at work so I'm extra run down.  And have never really been a good day sleeper. New levels of H1 (yea me) and some foundation movements as well. And so on. 

So yesterday I crashed.  Well more of a lull.  This seems to happen on Thursday a lot and extra on the second week of nights (less sleep).  It just feels like the deload week doesn't come soon enough. 

Currently following the 3 day split for F1 M-W-F and H1 Tu-Th.  Has anyone tried F1+H1 three days a week?  That would be F3+H1 alternating with F4+H1.  Or is that too much work for H1?

I could probably go with more frequency if I cut the volume per day (weekly total to be the same) but I don't know how the GB Pro+ adapts to that kind of templet.   Or how that goes toward making progress and progress is the goal. 

I could write pages on what I "think" would work and spend months chasing those theories but I'm sure someone has been there done that.   

Alessandro Mainente

Your body is telling you what do you need. too sore? too tired? sometime one week of rest it is not enough for a full recovery. I suggest to restart with a very light approach like 3 days schedule. 

-mon F1 spl, fl, hbp, rc

-wed hs

-frid: mn, sl,sls.

Everett Carroll

I agree with Alex. Your body is telling you how to make progress. Also, less sleep is going to make recovery harder so reduce overall volume if you need to in order to continue to make progress and feel ready for the next session.

 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Dude, you're doing a lot! Two options. Mark some of your workouts as "I did not perform this exercise". Or you could do the 2-day Foundations (30 minute) option like @Alessandro Mainente mentioned and @Everett Carroll cosigned. Even if you only hit each element once a week, that's one more workout than zero and you're also doing a lot, so you've got to be realistic. 

Props on getting hitched and working the night shift #TheHustle

Kevin Herring

Thanks everyone.  I hadn't considered dialing it back that much.  When I sleep enough the 3 day split works great.  But consistently is rare lately.  

Appreciate the props Daniel.  I'm a lucky man.   

 

Jon Douglas

When you have as much going on in your life as you do right now, it is not the time to stack up insane workout volume as added stress :) I've made my best (all-around), most consistent and fastest progress on the 3day split with Tues/Thurs handstand/weighted mobility days, not nearly the volume I thought I'd need to improve like this.

I can handle much more, but this is where progress is, and changing a good thing doesn't make sense right now. Counterintuitively, through this training I can pull hard in sports, team challenges etc that require much more volume in a match or a day than I do in a training session and perform as an effective athlete. I say this not to blow my own horn but remind you that developing strength and demonstrating it are quite different things, and that you will not miss out on being able to demonstrate your abilities by conducting regular training with a lower volume that stimulates the desired response :)

Less is more if doing less promotes concentration, recovery, and tightenin up the screws in general :)  congratulations on your upcoming nuptials :)

Kevin Herring

Much appreciated Jon. 

I was following your example in the workout routine from your posts of late.  I saw improvements for a while.  But I can't ignore that I'm still doing too much.   Everyone's pointing in the same direction.

You're right.  If doing less gives back more why do more to get less?

I'm still learning to listen to my body (and experienced advice more) and my ego less.

Jon Douglas

Not an easy lesson but they say there's a reason medicine tastes bad-- you improve as quickly as possible so you don't have to take the foul stuff again :)

Keep fighting.

Kevin Herring
11 hours ago, Jon Douglas said:

Not an easy lesson but they say there's a reason medicine tastes bad-- you improve as quickly as possible so you don't have to take the foul stuff again :)

Keep fighting.

Just had a dose "Deal-With-It" this morning, washed it down with a glass of "Hurry Up and Slow Down".  :D

Anyone foresee a problem of me cycling the Stretching Series on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday? Or do I need to find time on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday to keep those day free?

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday works, so long as it works for you. I recognize those series as almost a workout in and of themselves (because, I mean, wall walks, straddle roll-throughs, iso middle stretch, and standing single-leg hamstring stretch on the wall are by no means ever easy), so spacing them out in a logical way for your life is best. I do them Monday, Wednesday, Friday. So, tomato/tomahto. 

Everett Carroll

Do them when you can, Kevin. Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday is certainly better than not at all. 

Mike Kelly

I just want to add to what others are saying - sometimes less is more.

In my case I have been training each foundation PE once per week and have been getting stronger :)

Kevin Herring

Daniel, Thanks. Just going back and forth between keeping those days clear for recovery and time managing. Fewer long workout or more shorter ones.   Not a big issue.

Everett, It may be just a matter of trial and error, but "just do them" is noted and respected.

Mike, Glad to hear that progress is still possible.  I did have concerns that once a week was not frequent enough.  But I'm in the too much category right now.  Thanks for the encouragement.

Alright.  Day One. Time to get to it.  :D