This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Increased Fat Burning

Started by Klaus Weiler, August 5, 2016 · 22 Replies · 546 Views

Klaus Weiler

Hey everyone,

I would like to read more about the increased fat burning through eating healthy fats and protein for breakfast. So I´m curious about the effect, how it works and what are the benefits from it.

Can anyone explain it more, or give me some interesting/scientific articles about it?

Thanks a lot.
Klaus

Tanya Hill

Hi Klaus, 

Thank you for reaching out. I feel like meal plans and diets are different for everyone. It has taken me many years to find what my body truly likes. I  have been doing a Ketogenic diet for the past two weeks and have found my body loves running on fat. I am still learning all about it myself. 

@Luke Searra may have some good advice and some article recommendations, I know he has been playing with a high fat diet. 

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

A good point where everyone should reflects (and I recommend it) is make some research about the hormones bio-rythm and hormonal glands activity during the day. we have many different researches which find that people normally tend to have a dominant gland and people diet , food ingestion, type of food, timing etc should be adjusted in function of that because it makes sense. 

a little example if during the day I have an higher activity of adrenal glandes I should consider my hormones level in function of them. another thing could be said for thyroid etc. 

that is a general answer to say that the ability to burn fat in certain period of the day it is influenced by different many factors and it is not so easy to be explained. from my pov it requires a minimum of knowledge in the biochemical , biomolecular and genetic field in order to be understood.

Luke Searra

Hi Klaus, first of body fat percentage by itself will fluctuate throughout the day. It will be different in the morning and evening. It is always in a state of change. Even when you are in ketosis, your level of ketosis will be influenced by exercise, hydration and time of the day and will also fluctuate. Your level of fat burning can be measured through urine and more accruately through blood.

On a simpler level: Basically lowering carb intake and increasing fat intake with moderate protein intake - your body will change the energy source from carbohydrates to fat - resulting in a body fat decrease as fat is used for energy instead of sugar. This is the simplistic take.

Benefits include: decreased body fat / increased cognition / increased energy - IT IS NOT by any means quick or easy and your main focus should be longevity and health with fat burn as a positive and amazing side effect.

That being said the healthiest and best way to get into fat burning mode is by following LCHF without becoming a nutrition nerd or carbo-fop.

There are many resources around the web, GB's own Thrive diet in combination with the GB GST courses is a great way to get healthy and lose body fat.

Luke Searra

GB Thrive would be a great solution for you Klaus @Jeff Serven

Klaus Weiler

Thanks for all your answers and I´ll check out the Book. Luckily I`m already doing the GB Thrive. I´m just curious about more details in specific areas. 

Greetings from Germany,
Klaus

Luke Searra

Klaus give me a shout anytime.

Klaus Weiler
12 minutes ago, Luke Searra said:

Klaus give me a shout anytime.

Thanks, mate!

Ryan Bailey

Well, since we're talking about fat burning:

@Luke Searra May I pick your brain?

Regarding: LCHF, Ketogenic, Interested in how this fits into your GST training schedule.

I am curious if you are on a maintenance training schedule as I know you are already freakishly strong. My "ASS"umption is that non gluconeogenesis pathways, encouraged by eating more carbs will fuel a progressive, glycolytic GST workout just fine. Again, my assumption is that gluconeogensis of fat to glucose could possibly fuel stretching and maintenance Foundation, higher repetitions,  non repmax type work.

Obviously I am not questioning you, but want to learn more about your higher level training and macro-nutrition experience. Basically, can the body kick ass with full on GST and Ketonogenic type diet? Or is this a cyclical type protocol?

Thanks a lot,

Ryan

Luke Searra

Hello Ryan, thank you for your message,

Before we begin, understand clearly I am not a nutritionist or expert in LCHF. I reserve the right to change and evolve my position on anything I say in this thread at any time.  My goal is to use the Ketogenic diet to reap its many rewards in regards to GST and longevity.

Let's break down your questions into simply starting with terminology to make this thread accessible to the general public and international GB athletes:

TERMINOLOGY:
LCHF
low carb high fat

Ketogenic diet
a diet supplying a large amount of fat and minimal amounts of carbohydrate and protein to produce a ketosis and alter the degree of bodily alkalinity.

Ketogenesis:
the production of ketone bodies.

Ketone Bodies:
any of the three compounds acetoacetic acid, acetone, and beta-hydroxybutyric acid which are normal intermediates in lipid metabolism and accumulate in the blood and urine.

Gluconeogenesis:
formation of glucose within the body from precursors other than carbohydrates especially by the liver and kidney using amino acids from proteins, glycerol from fats, or lactate produced by muscle during anaerobic glycolysis—called also glyconeogenesis.

Questions:
Q1) Are you in a maintenance GST schedule?
A) I continue to work on automatic GST programming even though I can do 5 of 7 elements. I honestly think I can never outgrow GST no matter how strong I get.

Q2) Ketogenic diet , how does it fit into your training schedule?
A2) Can you be more specific with this question? Do you mean Ketogenic meal timing in regards to GST workouts or a general ketogenic lifestyle?

Q3) My "ASS"umption is that non-gluconeogenesis pathways, encouraged by eating more carbs will fuel a progressive, glycolytic GST workout just fine. In layman speak : Carbs will fuel a GST workout just fine as opposed to fat. Why fat ?
A3) Fat is largely unexplored and I believe will be superior for flexibility, strength, endurance and body composition in the long run.

Q4) Again, my assumption is that gluconeogensis of fat to glucose could possibly fuel stretching and maintenance in Foundation, as well as higher repetitions and, non repmax type work.
A4) I absolutely agree.

Q5) Basically, can the body kick ass with full on GST and Ketonogenic type diet? Or is this a cyclical type protocol?
A5) This is definitely a personal experiment into ketogenic GST. See answer 3.

Q6) Or is this a cyclical type protocol?
A6) Are you referring to cyclical Keto dieting or changing for example every 6 months between moderate Carb and LCHF dieting?

 

Wonderful Question Ryan, thank you.

 

Ryan Bailey

Luke,

I appreciate the detailed response... and the disclaimer.  Of course you and anyone of us have the right to change our views or positions (This is the beauty of forums; we can discuss what is current)  I wanted to ask you those questions because at your level of strength I am very interested, as some of the more recent research is primarily in the endurance athletes.

Regarding:

Q2: I could totally ask more as I am interested, but I'm going to pull us even farther away from Thrive 1 specific topics. I keep feeling that Jeff might walk in any minute and launch potatoes at our heads for discussing Ketones and GST on the Thrive 1 forum.  

Q6: Nothing specific here: I meant, Are you doing say: 6 weeks on, then back to whatever macro composition you typically like?  I think I understand your answer from your #3 response. 

Thanks again Luke for the clarity! Looking forward to hearing of your progress in the future.

   @Klaus Weiler  I think you were initially referring to the Thrive 1 breakfast which is a bit different than the way this thread has been going.  Jeff explains all this very well in the essays as the steps are completed.  The breakfast was one of the best parts of Thrive early on I felt. Now, being through the entire course, I have appreciated the entire daily flow.

    

Luke Searra

Thank you Ryan for the very detailed reply as well. Discussing the ketogenic diet as EXTREMELY interests me is my absolute pleasure. Any results that I get from it I will share with no hold back for sure.

Q6: Before I had been following zone (40:30:30)(Carbs:Proteins:Fats), and found I would still be in ketosis on the Zone although it was lighter Ketosis. I plan to stick to the ketogenic for a minimum of 6 months to fully understand its effects on my GST. This is a new nutritional strength experiment.

Jeff Serven

Luke, what are you doing to measure your ketone level? 

Luke Searra

Hello Jeff, I am measuring my ketone level 2 ways

1. Ketostix (urine for cheap testing around various activities and food substances) - both ketones and glucose.

2. Blood thruough a glucometer that can measure Ketones as well as Glucose

Jeff Serven

How do you find the Glucometers accuracy? I will share my findings after yours. 

I just want your honest opinion before I say something. I don't have any horse in the race. 

 

David Eiche

I'd like to hear both you guys' experiences with the glucometer. I haven't gotten consistent results out of the ketostix, but I'm not at all sure I did a good job of controlling the variables. I did NOT fast, which seems to be the quickest way into ketosis.

I know this ain't exactly a Thrive 1 topic, but in the fullness of time....

Sam Andersen
On 8/7/2016 at 9:02 AM, Jeff Serven said:

Jeff just starting reading this book that you recommended.  Only have a good start in it but it is very interesting thus far.  

What body fat percentage should I aim for?  Or better what body fat percentage is too low that it should be avoided?  I have consulted a few resources online but they don't agree and they probably don't know what they are talking about anyway.  Thanks.

Jeff Serven

Too low is an individual thing. For some its 6% for others its 10%. It depends a lot on your body type. An ectomorph will always be able to get leaner than a endomorph, doesn't mean that they are more heathy. 

There is a sweet spot, too low is unhealthy(in the long term) and too high is obviously not good. I would say somewhere in the 8-14% for most men. 

Sam Andersen

Thanks Jeff.  Is the best method for determining body fat at home to use the pinch caliper method?

Ferdinand Berr

I'd like to hijack the thread if I may:p

 

I guess I'm an ectomorph, one of my mid- to longterm goals with GST and Thrive is definitely to build up some lean mass. I try to build up healthy eating habits, but maintaining a slight calorie surplus. So what would be my breakfast approach for reaping the benefits of increased fat burning while still getting in (more than) enough calories? Eating A LOT of healthy fats for breakfast, paired with some protein, but keeping away from carbohydrates?

 

At the moment I normally take a spoon of olive oil plus a few nuts for the breakfast fats, additionally I drink a shake containing whole milk, oats, a little whey, some fruit (mainly bananas in this one) and perhaps a little cocoa. I'm not really celebrating breakfast and have a hard time eating much in the morning, therefore the shake solution. I guess it's not very optimal like that because of mixing fats, carbohydrates and protein, right? Is the rule of not combining carbohydrates and fats in a meal sensible or wouldn't you say so?

 

Thank you for helping out(:

Jeff Serven

Healthy fats, protein and minimized carbs for breakfast sounds like plan. 

Im gonna guess you don't eat a whole lot of food based off what your breakfast looks like. Generally people who don't like to eat breakfast has poor digestion due to sub optimal foods. It may take a while to develop an appetite. 

 

Ferdinand Berr

You're probably right. I'm trying to and I've seen some progress, but as you say, it takes time. If I try to eat too much (compared to my normal eating habits) I definitely recognize that I have to fight through it, get tired, etc, so I try to make it more of a smooth transition. I also try to eat healthy and use as much unprocessed, "real" food as possible, but there is a big room for improvement, especially when it comes to creating healthier habits, which is why I decided to try out Thrive.

 

With my current appetite I just find it hard to get to a calorie surplus without some "liquid food" on top of my normal diet.