This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Broken skin on back when doing Bent Hollow Body Rock

Started by Chris Toynbee, August 4, 2016 · 11 Replies · 229 Views

Chris Toynbee

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else has broken skin about 15cm up from the base of the spine (my guess is around Thoracic 10?) from doing Bent Hollow Body Rock's?

I'm clearly doing them wrong.

I've watched the video a few times (https://my.gymnasticbodies.com/fl-pe2/) but if I try and avoid the sore area I feel like my back is too stiff and rigid and when the back reaches the floor it kind of bounces of the floor rather than a nice smooth rock. 

I guess I should drop the exercise until my back heals but does anyone else have advice?

Everett Carroll

Use more padding once your back heals. Wearing a shirt should also help. Rocking to the point of bleeding doesn't need to happen.

As far as the lack of smoothness in the rock, please post a form check so we can better help you. A jerky rock typically means you aren't keeping a hollow enough shape and driving the low back into the floor hard enough.

Chris Toynbee

Thanks for the feedback.

I should point out that I didn't think my rock was jerky until I was compensating for the painful back - but it still could have been bad form :) 

I'll wait until its healed to post the video so you can see what I was doing when I caused the injury (rather than the video now which would show me trying to avoid the injury).

I'm already wearing a t-shirt and I've doubled the number of yoga mats on the wood flooring. 

Hopefully that will help.

 

Vytautas Pilkauskas

Hi, I had the same problem. Fixed it with a thicker mat (1cm thick), nothing similar happened again. I find yoga mats to be very unsuitable for rocking movements, especially on the back.

Toni Laukkavaara

Also note that if the surface is too soft it might absorb alot of your power

Julia Quigley

Do you travel a lot on your rocks? That could irritate your skin. 

Tanya Hill

Hi Chris,

I agree with Everett, can you post a video of your Bent Hollow Body Rocks. The rock should be a very small movement only rocking on the mid to lower back the shoulders stay off the ground the whole time. 

With a video we can give you some better tips. 

Chris Toynbee
On 8/7/2016 at 1:19 AM, Vytautas Pilkauskas said:

Hi, I had the same problem. Fixed it with a thicker mat (1cm thick), nothing similar happened again. I find yoga mats to be very unsuitable for rocking movements, especially on the back.

What sort of mats are people using?

My back is almost healed so I'll post a video soon :)

Everett Carroll

Anything with thick padding will do. I use 2 standard yoga mats. My training partner has vertebrae that stick out abnormally far so he prefers 3 yoga mats.

Everett Carroll

Hey Chris,

Glad to hear the skin healed. You want your feet closer to the ground and you also want to eliminate the changing hip angle. The Rock is great otherwise!

Chris Toynbee

Thanks!