This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Additional Stretching with Foundation One?

Started by Zach Nielsen, August 3, 2016 · 9 Replies · 188 Views

Zach Nielsen

Is it possible to stretch too much?  As with most people in Foundation One my biggest weakness is mobility in my ankles, hips, and shoulders.  Basically my whole body. :)

I was wondering if I could do additional stretching on a regular basis in addition to my Foundation One workouts to try and increase my flexibility.  

I am currently on the four day a week schedule for Foundation One.  For example, would it be too much to do this kind of a workout three times a week in addition?  

https://my.gymnasticbodies.com/oc-lower-flexibility-beginner/

I also have the thoracic, and middle split series and plan on doing those on Wednesdays.  

So basically what I am asking is, "How much additional stretching it advisable with a four day a week Foundation One program?"

Thanks!

Zach

Everett Carroll

The recommendation is to perform each stretch series (Front Split, Middle Split, and Thoracic Bridge) once per week. This is how I have felt best and any more stretching than that will likely be too much. It is possible to stretch too much, so that protocol plus your Foundations should work well.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

You don't need to stretch more, you need to wait more. The body responds after rest. Truuust me. Some days i'll push it too hard on my shoulder or piriformis and my inkling will be to stretch, stretch, stretch (this being in addition to my foundation and stretch series work). I find that that doesn't actually bring that much extra benefit, though. Hit your mobilities with good form and focus, as well as the PEs. Breathe deep and hit YOUR end ROM in the stretch series and be at peace with it. By going slower and doing less, but with better form, I've seen much more improvement and reduction of pain. Just my two cents.

 

I would also say that doing each stretch series on a separate day is suggested, if possible.

Zach Nielsen

Daniel, what is your stretch routine?  Thanks!

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Do you have Pro+?

Zach Nielsen

Yes I believe so. 

Zach Nielsen

On another related question, what is the purpose of the online training?  

Everett Carroll

The online training is to guide you through the movements with a certified GB trainer so you get the best cues and know that each rep is done correctly.

Zach Nielsen

But are they meant for repeated use in some fashion as part of your training?  

Zach

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

My stretch routine...

throughout each day I'll sporadically do a set of swivel hips and skier squats to work on my pirifotmis/hip issues (I overdid SLS/PE3-im at one point and hurt my hip). I will couple this with the bicep/shoulder stretches of Y, T, A, and capsule. I try to do that little routine three times daily: either morning, noon, and night, or sandwiching my foundation workout and then maybe right before bed. 

 

To warmup my workouts I do the quadrupedal warmup, the circuit I just mentioned and any other specific PE/ims I will be focusing on for that workout. I also do the daily limber from Fundamentals before my HS training and on my off days on the weekend. Additionally, I'll do a 15 minute yoga limbering session as a cooldown after my HS training and on off days. After my Foundation workouts, which are Monday, Wednesday, Friday, I do one of the stretch series. That's it. That's all I do.

I wouldn't really suggest anyone doing more than that either. I do an intense stretch three days a week (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday after Foundations), I hit some focus areas (my biceps and hips/piriformis) lightly a few times every day. Then I limber with the daily limber and some light beginner yoga (the app I use is called Yoga Studio, the routine: 15 minutes beginner flexibility) on my HS/off days (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday). 

 

Also, you should absolutely be using the Pro+ follow-along videos. I opted out of the gym I used to go to because their cellular signal sucked and now I work out at home where I have a wifi router and can easily load/play the Pro+ and man, my progress has been MUCH, much better as a result.