This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Daily wrist exercises?

Started by Igor De Britto, August 3, 2016 · 9 Replies · 394 Views

Igor De Britto

Hey, folks,

I do work with coding and spend plenty of time on the keyboard. This seems to piss my left wrist, as it hurts  both with extension and flexion. Doing the warm-up and PE1 for the all the wrist exercises hurt a bit for the first 3 reps, but then make the whole thing better before moving on to the actual PE I'm working on.

My question is: is there something bad in doing a few 10r sets of PE1 spread through the day, every day? I do stop every hour or so and step away for 5-10 minutes, so doing these like 2-3 times a day might help out the problem. Or do you have any suggestion on something different to try out?

Best,

Igor

Mikkel Ravn

I often do the wrist stretches every day, especially if my forearm have been taking a beating. Doing the PE1 wrist exercises can do good as well, but don't use it as a strength exercise, just use it lightly to access your mobility. 

Igor De Britto
1 minute ago, Mikkel Ravn said:

I often do the wrist stretches every day, especially if my forearm have been taking a beating. Doing the PE1 wrist exercises can do good as well, but don't use it as a strength exercise, just use it lightly to access your mobility. 

Thanks, Mikkel! I reached 5x5 on PE3 this week, so PE1 doesn't feel like effort. Will actually give it a go now, when I end typing this!

Alessandro Mainente

Wrist stretches could be done daily.

the other exercises must be used as a tool to improve wrists strength, as the other muscles/connective tissue they need recovery time. for now no more then 2 times a week.

Igor De Britto
18 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Wrist stretches could be done daily.

the other exercises must be used as a tool to improve wrists strength, as the other muscles/connective tissue they need recovery time. for now no more then 2 times a week.

Thanks! Will give it a go on strecthing only, then. Hopefully it will prove good enough.

However, now that you told about doing the other exercises no more than twice a week, I'd like to confirm something. I'm doing F7 (mon, fri) and H + some S (tue, thu, sat). So am I overdoing the H PEs, since I'm taking them 3 times a week?

Alessandro Mainente

if you have already recovered from previous session the 3 days a week it is fine for your, no more.

Brandon Martin

If you have not already, also consider getting yourself a good keyboard and desk setup that properly supports your wrists and forearms (elbows at 90 degrees and palms parallel to the floor).  I frequently crank out between 10 and 40 pages of typed material in a day and adjusting my setup did wonders for my wrists.

Igor De Britto

I arranged the chair height to match table's and got a wrist rest for the keyboard. Wrist is already so much better. My shoulders, however, didn't like it at all. Looks like I'll spend some time with ergonomics. Even HBP PE2 iM hurts with a single 1 kg weight. But doing it often through the day (regular weight was 4kg) in the last 3 days is making it better so far.

Brandon Martin

Shoulders are complex and tough and I don't know enough about them to even begin to diagnose. Though I am interested in your question on HBP PE2 iM--my wife's shoulders detest that exercise as well (and even unweighted arm circles).  Definitely ping me if you figure out why that exercise is tweaking your shoulders.

However, on ergonomics, check to see if the arm rests on you chair are adjustable relative to the height of the seat.  I set mine so the top of the arm rest is just below (~ 1cm) where my desk is at when I have it in sitting mode.  If the chair has a lumbar adjustment, you might want to play with that as well (if it doesn't, you can try adding pillow,etc.).  

There are lots of good resources on how to sit (and stand) properly if you are tied to a computer and/or smartphone (and god knows I am). I personally like Dr. Starrett.  Whatever resources you use, if you are in the office 40-60 hours a week, plus another few hours in the car or on the bus, plus a few hours sitting while eating, its a lot of time for your body to be in one position, and it is worth getting it right.

Igor De Britto
On 20/09/2016 at 1:37 PM, Brandon Martin said:

Shoulders are complex and tough and I don't know enough about them to even begin to diagnose. Though I am interested in your question on HBP PE2 iM--my wife's shoulders detest that exercise as well (and even unweighted arm circles).  Definitely ping me if you figure out why that exercise is tweaking your shoulders.

However, on ergonomics, check to see if the arm rests on you chair are adjustable relative to the height of the seat.  I set mine so the top of the arm rest is just below (~ 1cm) where my desk is at when I have it in sitting mode.  If the chair has a lumbar adjustment, you might want to play with that as well (if it doesn't, you can try adding pillow,etc.).  

There are lots of good resources on how to sit (and stand) properly if you are tied to a computer and/or smartphone (and god knows I am). I personally like Dr. Starrett.  Whatever resources you use, if you are in the office 40-60 hours a week, plus another few hours in the car or on the bus, plus a few hours sitting while eating, its a lot of time for your body to be in one position, and it is worth getting it right.

Hey, thanks for the specifics!

I won't extend myself much, as the forum is Hx related, but the topic is Fx related.

In my specific case, a little dailly training regime is doing wonders for my shoulders. It's completely based on my feelings, however.

- HBP PE1 PE and iM 1x10 for both, a few times a day. Generally, after 2 hours or so coding.

- HBP PE2 iM (1 and then 2 kg), really slow, at least twice a day, turning the torso a lot (but progressively less)

- RC PE1 iM for extended periods (30-60s) a few times a day (mostly whenever I took a walk for bathroom, water, eating or opening doors to someone)

These days, I still feel a little discomfort doing these, but it's a far cry from what it has been. Also, my shoulder don't "pop" anymore when rotating it. I can pm you later with another follow up, if you want =)

Best wishes for your wife's recovery!