This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SL/PE1 and SL/PE1>iM

Started by Mark Allen, August 3, 2016 · 9 Replies · 98 Views

Mark Allen

Hi Everyone, 

I'm hoping you could give me some feedback on my Russian Twists and Hip Circles. I'm uploading the video as I had some mild back pain which I think was caused by these exercises. I've followed advice from my other post about the back pain, the pain has now gone. The video shows me doing the Russian twist and hip circles with a reduced range of motion and a smaller weight than I would normally have used as I'm going to build back up to where i was prior to the pain slowly. 

Any comments or thoughts  would be greatly received. 

Many Thanks, 

Mark 

Date of Video: 2016/07/02

 

Igor De Britto

Not an expert here, but PE looks pretty good. iM has limited ROM, but it's smooth!

What I don't know is how more weight/rom would affect your form on the PE, which might be a source of problems.

Leo Trinidad

Hi Mark, looks good to me. :) smart move on reducing the weight and range of motion. keep up the good work.

Luke Searra

Looks good to me too Mark

Hans Fredrik Krogh

Looks good to me, but I do the twists slightly different, I hold the dumbbell horizontally and find that that gets me more into the QLs with the wider grip. To me it kind of looks like you drive the hip circles with your back/upper body and that the hips a just along for the ride, this will still give a stretch but if it's the case your lumbar is doing quite a bit of work against pretty strong hip muscles. Hit the side ridge of the pelvis with some rolling on a tennis all first for added range :)

Mark Allen

Thanks everyone for the comments, 

Hans,

You may be right about the hips circles, do you have any tips on how I can initiate it from my hips instead of my upper body? 

Mark Allen

I've been thinking about the hip circles, would I be right in thinking that I should aim to keep my shoulders above my feet whilst doing the hip circles, so the majority of the movement comes from the hips?

Eva Pelegrin

Mark, I don't know if you've ever played with a hullahoop as a kid, if not it's a good experiment to try one. The giggles alone are worth it.

The movement is driven by the hips and core and the torso/spine follows along. That to me is a good way to describe the feeling you're after – equivalent to 'hullahooping' but in slow-motion. Have fun!

Luke Searra

Mark that's the perfect way to imagine the circles . Great thinking.

Mark Allen

Did a few hip circles and I think I've got it cracked, certainly feels better and the way I was doing it before I understand how it could have caused problems. Yeah just like hullahooping when I was a kid, not sure how I missed it but there you go. Looking forward to getting back in track with SL progression. 

Big thanks.