This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Thoracic Bridge Scaling for Low Wrist Strength

Started by Andrew Molina, August 3, 2016 · 9 Replies · 169 Views

Andrew Molina

Hi,

Second week on TBs and I find I can't do much in the way of the final Thoracic Bridge elements because of wrist strength. I can do something on every element up to SE15 then SE16 and onward (of course not the Rock n Roll), I can't do because of wrist strength. I tried the modified L shoulder flexion presses but couldn't spend enough time on my wrists to get into the position. On the thoracic bridges, I had trouble getting up into position and read about starting from a handstand and lowering down, but couldn't because of wrist discomfort. 

 

Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on other modifications, how I should progress or how to start building proper wrist strength. For now I'm basically stopping at SE15

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Andrew, we have a very deep work on Handstand one program. basically we have exercises for fingers strength, palm strength, ulnar and radial deviation strength and extension for decompression. highly recommended in case of weak wrists.

Everett Carroll

I have seen this same issue in my two of my own students and after only two months of the Hanstand One wrist work, they were able to comfortably perform the modified TB exercises.

It may take more than 2 months to build the wrists to that point but wrist mobility and strength work should never be rushed. 

Andrew Molina

Got it. After having bought F1 and the whole Stretch series, I'm a bit bummed to feel like I have to buy something else to fully use what I already have. Are there any basics or content elsewhere that I can use for now to start building that strength before needing to spend more money? Maybe something in the Online Classes? I was planning to start handstands in a few months, after I'd focused a lot of time on F1 and Stretch Series.

Leo Trinidad
4 hours ago, Andrew Molina said:

Got it. After having bought F1 and the whole Stretch series, I'm a bit bummed to feel like I have to buy something else to fully use what I already have. Are there any basics or content elsewhere that I can use for now to start building that strength before needing to spend more money? Maybe something in the Online Classes? I was planning to start handstands in a few months, after I'd focused a lot of time on F1 and Stretch Series.

Hi Andrew,

online classes are awesome! its like being in a real class and i would say its also a good supplement for training. there are beginner, intermediate and advance classes. (30-45mins):)

Andrew Molina

Thanks Leo, I think my main question is are there specific ones that would help me build wrist strength so I can progress towards the Thoracic Bridge?

Alessandro Mainente

Do you think the problem is the range of motion ?  (so wrists that cannot flex of extend enough)

Leo Trinidad
22 hours ago, Andrew Molina said:

Thanks Leo, I think my main question is are there specific ones that would help me build wrist strength so I can progress towards the Thoracic Bridge?

Hi @Andrew Molina i apologize for the late reply. the best classes to build up wrist strength to help you progress with your Thoracic Bridge would be handstand and shoulder flexibility online classes.

Andrew Molina

Hey Alessandro, I'm sure that's part of it, but I can get my wrist to a right angle but it hurts when I put lots of weight on it for too long. 

And thanks Leo, makes sense, will start adding some of their work into my routine. 

Alessandro Mainente

You have range of motion limitation for sure. well first wrists need to be stretched on both extension and flexion after a proper warm up. the only way to reduce the pain is reduce the amount of range of motion. but in the bridge the stress on the wrist highly depends on shoulders and thoracic mobility. the less they are the more you tend to compensate on wrists.