This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

TOPs Pulls

Started by Wesley Manson, August 2, 2016 · 4 Replies · 173 Views

Wesley Manson

Hey everyone. I have been working through different pulling movements, and have come across the TOPs Pull. It can be found in "Building the Gymnastic Body." I can seem to find a good video of someone doing proper reps of this move. It is pretty tough to NOT pike throughout the whole movement, and I was just hoping to see someone do the correctly. Also, I have been doing them on a bar, and it seems that rings might be a better choice. Any thoughts or tips on how to keep a straight body throughout the movement? Does anyone have a video of this move or can record themselves doing it?

Thanks in advance!

Wesley

Everett Carroll

Hey Wesley,

Here is a link to a video we recently posted of TOPS Pull: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=535103870023180&id=416749378525297

As far as training for these goes, I simply followed the Foundations programming, so that is what I recommend. Being a rock climber, I'll confess that I did have an advantage, or, rather, a head start on my pulling work. However, I did spend copious amounts of time on the basic progressions, so when I tried these, they were no problem. The basics built a surplus of strength so keeping the proper shape was second nature. 

Wesley Manson

Very nice video, thanks for that. I think I need to try it on the rings. Also, I tried it after 5x30s single bar inverted hangs which wore me out. My pulling strength is good, and I can do naners no problem, I might just have to get the technique down. 

Luke Searra

Good looking TOPs pull Everett

Everett Carroll

Thanks to both of you! Yes, those would be difficult after SBIH but there is where work capacity comes in to play. Keep it up.