Hi, I am just starting with the crab and ape movements. I have had a hip replacement and due to the prosthesis I cannot bend my hip through 90 degrees, is it ok to do the ape movement at a 90 degree hip angle or can you recommend an alternative movement? Stretching leg and back muscles is a challenge in general for me due to the hip. Thanks
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Ape movement - Hip replacement
Started by Daniel Jacobs, August 2, 2016 · 6 Replies · 152 Views
I believe the recommendation is to not squat past 90 degrees after a hip replacement but let's see what @Wesley Tan has to say on this matter. Doing ape with hips at 90 degrees should not be a problem but Wes or @Mark Collins might have some modifications for this.
Only move to where the new hip will allow. I have some patients that can flex to 100 and others only get 90 degrees. If you can only get 90 degrees then don't go past your comfortable ROM.
Excellent, thanks for the responses.
As a secondary question: The ape movement as shown in the videos shows that one should walk. Is the aim to first achieve the proper form before walking, or does one start walking with incorrect form and adjust the form as one progresses?
It depends on the type of the limitations that you show. ideally the major benefits is achieved once a good form is showed from the beginning . for sure do not work on the edge of discomfort.
On 8/1/2016 at 9:23 PM, Daniel Jacobs said:Hi, I am just starting with the crab and ape movements. I have had a hip replacement and due to the prosthesis I cannot bend my hip through 90 degrees, is it ok to do the ape movement at a 90 degree hip angle or can you recommend an alternative movement? Stretching leg and back muscles is a challenge in general for me due to the hip. Thanks
When did you have your hip replacement? The surgeons tell you to avoid flexing past 90 deg after the surgery (if you had the posterior approach) because that's the same way they dislocate the joint during the surgery. After many months or years, you should be able to go past 90 deg.
So first, you should consult your surgeon first if you should be doing end range hip flexion > 100 deg. There is a good chance that they will say no because they don't want any chance of you potentially dislocating the hip or they might have insider info about your surgical procedure that would deter your from increasing your hip flexion ROM. If they are cool with it, then you should ask them what is a safe hip flexion angle for you.
I have a knee replacement on the right side and can't get my hips down because of the limited ROM at the knee. I can touch the floor with my fist. I couldn't walk in this position or in the crab yet, but I feel that as I work on these exercise positions it will come. I know that my knee will eventually gain another 20 degrees and get stronger. I do feel discomfort and some mild pain with the first day exercises, but not bad. If I understand the 90 degree restriction is only until the hip is healed. Both my mother and brother were able to get their shoes and socks on without a problem and even do yoga.