This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Scap shrug frustration

Started by Erin Roepke, August 1, 2016 · 10 Replies · 384 Views

Erin Roepke

I can't do scap shrugs to save my life. I can't protract all the way at the top of the movement. Are we supposed to keep our shoulder blades depressed as we protract and retract? because mine want to elevate. I think I may try them on an incline to see if I can do better that way. Any other suggestions?

Luke Searra

Hello Erin, first send a video of the full movement then send a video of the scale.

Julia Quigley

I'm curious about the elevation/depression question as well. I can't work these right now due to some shoulder issues I'm rehabbing, but when I was working them I found my shoulders would elevate during retraction.

Luke Searra

Hi Julia just to clarify at the bottom of your scap shrug your shoulders tend to push up toward your head?

Julia Quigley

Exactly. My body has a very small rocking forward at the bottom and pulling back at the top as a consequence.

Erin Roepke

Mine is opposite, I can keep my shoulders depressed on retraction, but when I protract at the top they elevate.

Also unfortunately I have no camera with which to film it.

Coach Sommer

Hi Erin,

At this particular point in your training do no be overly concerned with elevation or depression during your scap shrugs.  Focus in stead on working to achieve full R.O.M. (range of motion) during the protraction and retraction.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Julia Quigley

Erin--I do have the same issue as you! I had it backwards lol.

Glad to know from Coach I didn't need to worry about that at this point.

Erin Roepke

Thanks coach!

Philip Papandrea

I have same problem but if I don't focus on keeping shoulders depressed I get an Impingement feeling in my shoulder. I only seem to be able to keep the correct form when I do the scap shrugs inclined. When I go to floor and do these they feel terrible on my shoulders. I always assumed because it was of the shoulders moving closer to ears on retraction. 

Coach Sommer

Hi Philip,

No real issue here.  Your shoulders are simply not yet mobile and strong enough to perform scap shrugs in a front support.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer