This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Mobility Mastery Questions

Started by Andrew Molina, August 1, 2016 · 4 Replies · 165 Views

Andrew Molina

Hi,

I was reading that you shouldn't advance to a new progression if you haven't mastered the mobility, which makes sense, but I have a few questions.

  1. When you say don't advance to a new progression, I assume you mean PE1 -> PE2, not Step3 -> Step4, is that correct? We're okay to continue advancing in reps/sets but once we reach mastery of that, we might need to continue to practice PE1 until we master the mobility?
  2. For some of the mobility exercise it's easier to tell mastery than others, for example swivel hips need both knees on the ground with both glutes on the ground. But others like skiers, lat lean, cat cow, hip circles and German arm swings, it isn't really clear what mastery looks like. Could anyone provide clarity on how to measure mastery for these? Might even be nice to have those on the individual exercise pages.
  3. If we get to the point where mobility is holding us back from advancing, should we add more mobility to our workouts, or do extra mobility work outside of our workouts? I'm already doing the stretch series so I know that will help, but how else could we advance in mobility without overdoing it?

Thanks for the help!

Andrew

Christopher Denzer

Hi Andrew:

 

My understanding for  #1 is the same as yours. If you can't accomplish mastery of a mobility exercise, you may still continue to advance in sets/reps of the strength exercise. Once you've mastered the strength exercise, you simply repeat it at mastery level until you can attain mastery of the mobility exercise Case in point: I have been on the mastery sets/reps scheme of the strength element SPL/SE1 for a long, long time because I can't master the mobility exercise (bent arm/straddle planche.)  I'm finally making some progress on it, though! It may also be helpful to modify the mobility element somehow so that you can work up to mastery more effectively. For me, working on the bent arm straddle planche on paralettes got me to being able to do them on the ground. 

Everett Carroll

1) You are correct. Keep progressing through the steps because oftentimes the mobility catches up to mastery level by the end of step 9.

2) The ROM required for the mobility is the ROM displayed in the course videos. If you're still unsure after comparing yourself to those videos, post a video in form checks on the forum. To do this, you can upload the video directly to the thread or provide a link to YouTube or another similar websites. Make sure the videos are unlisted and not public. 

3) Extra sets as a cooldown is how I prefer to work on my mobility deficits. I'll also add the lagging mobility into a relevant stretch course and add a set of two of higher repetition/time maintenance sets of the previous progressions mobility as a warmup.  

Andrew Molina

Great, thank you both! Just starting, so don't have this problem yet, but anticipate it, since I've read a lot of posts about it.

Alessandro Mainente

A bit of clarification on point 2 and 3:

-any doubts? ask for a video checks if you need to know if it is enough.

-doing more it is acceptable only if you have some experience with the elements , in simple words when you are around week 5-7 on the template. of course one set more can be considered a good idea if there are imbalances between left and right.