This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE5>iM Triceps strain

Started by Arash Saghafian, August 1, 2016 · 9 Replies · 101 Views

Arash Saghafian

Hi all!

First time I write in the forum :) You're all so extremely good at giving positive insight in different aspects.. just wanted to see if someone can give me a hint on what to do in one of the mobility exercises I'm having troubles with. When doing the HS/PE5 mobility exercise I get a strain in the lower triceps connecting to my elbow (on both left and right elbow). I think I've "stretched" out this part specifically in the upward movement behind the back... somehow I feel like the triceps/biceps tendons seem to be at max stretch at the point where the arms are fully stretched behind the back. I've paused working on this exercise until it gets better.. do you have any tip on how to proceed with rehab and later on be successful in executing the movement without putting a strain on the tricep? 

Thank you for helping out!

Cheers

//A

Tanya Hill

Hi Arash, 

We are more then happy to help. Can you post a video of you doing HS/PE5?

Arash Saghafian

Hi Tanya,

Here's the video :)

 

Tanya Hill

Hi Arash,

Thanks for the video. Your form isn't bad at all. You may have a little bit of hyper extension going on which may be over stretching your tricep attachment a little to much. To support the forearms you do need to shrug more at the top of the movement. Elevate your shoulders to your ears when your bringing your arms over head in both directions. Try to get your deltoids to your ears. Give that a try and share another video. 

Also, are you following the Handstand one course? There are lots of great wrist push-ups in that course that can also help with your forearms. 

Arash Saghafian

Thank you very much! I'll try it out and see if the tricep tension disappears. Exactly, I'm following the Handstand one course together with the wrist strengthening exercises. Thanks for the advice :)

Luke Searra

Amazing advice from Tanya Arash. I would also in addition to strengthening and mobilizing your wrists - that you also focus on lengthening your lats. Keep up the good work

 

Tanya Hill

Stretching the lats is great advice. Let us know if things get better for you Arash. 

Arash Saghafian

Thank you both for the excellent advice! I will definitely do that :) 

Luke Searra

Our pleasure Arash

Mark Collins

You also need to keep the ribs down. You are getting extra ROM from the upper back, rather than the shoulder. Have your grip a little wider. Do this movement in front of the mirror and watch the shoulders move symetrically.