This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Strategies for Periodizing GST with other activity

Started by Anthony Manuele, July 31, 2016 · 3 Replies · 192 Views

Anthony Manuele

Hey folks,

 

I've purchased the GST handstand, foundations, and stretch programs to get the basics down pat.
As it stands, I do a daily yoga practice as part of a spiritual discipline, and can reasonably add an additional 30-75 minutes of GST on top of that, dialling back my asana practice in favour of lighter work or pranayama as needed to optimize recovery for workouts. 

My question is, one that I haven't seen discussed too much or covered in topics:
Is there an optimal way to periodize these three courses? 

I realize a lot is to do with individual lifestyle, nutrition, and recovery needs; my mentality in training (coming from an S&C background) has always been to focus your training in periodized patches; however, I'm learning that gymnastics training isn't necessarily the same as generalized S&C in terms of progression.

 

Is it reasonable to do all three programs (Foundations, Handstand, Stretch) simultaneously, or would results be better if they were periodized, or co-periodized (Ex, one block of stretch + handstand, one block of stretch + foundations)

 

Any insight on this would be super appreciated. 

 

My strategy right now is basically 'just go for it', doing all three programs at least x3 week each alongside my daily yoga practice. 

THANKS !

 

-A

Alessandro Mainente

One program helps the other and vice versa, biggest benefits are obtained by merging all the 3 program in a unique schedule. advanced programming with blocks, daily schedule modification etc are for more advanced athletes.

Dorian Brown

I do all the at the same time. My workouts usually last about 45min - 1 1/2 hours including warm up times. I do the 4 day split for foundation and 2 day handstand. It took a bit of experimenting and starting over to find the schedule for my life. 

Mon: foundation elements FL,SPL,HB,RC

Tues: SL,MN,SLS plus Handstand

Wed: Middle Split

Thursday: foundation elements FL,SPL,HB,RC plus handstand

Friday: SL,MN,SLS plus Thoracic bridge

Saturday: Front Split

Sunday: Total rest

 

Alessandro Mainente

The schedule above reflects what i did for a long time and it works pretty well.