This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS PE2 - scared out of my mind

Started by Adriana Millan, July 30, 2016 · 7 Replies · 287 Views

Adriana Millan

Hello! 

I need some help. I've completed HS PE1 , I can do it without batting an eye. :) I've read how to progress to PE2 if you don't have the strength to kick up. I can't even do that . I've kicked up a couple of times, but the truth is, I'm really scared imgoimg t hurt myself. How can I get past this? Any ideas or suggestions? Anyone else have this fear? Thanks a lot in advance. I'm inspired by all of you!

 

Adriana

Everett Carroll

Outstanding work mastering PE1! Patience pays. Have you tried starting from Tripod and raising your legs straight up into Headstand? Doing this with you me back really close to the wall might alleviate the fear of tipping over. Post a video of your form, too, so we can give more detailed advice.

Adriana Millan

Thank you Everett! I will try the kick-up and post a form video ASAP ! :) 

Mikkel Ravn

Fear is pretty natural. The trick is to be unaffected by the fear, which comes by gradually exposing your body to the perceived risk, and teaching the lizard brain that things are not as bad as it thinks. 

Just be mindful that fear is an evolutionary mechanism to prevent you from doing stupid things, which might prevent you from successfully spreading your genes. Fear is not particularly useful when trying to learn new things. 

Julia Quigley

I was terrified when I started this element! For th first several times I did it, I started in PE1, with my back close to a wall, and had my boyfriend spot me as I went into it. 

Due to my fear and overcompensating, I did under do it and fall back down or topple to the side once or twice. But I didn't get hurt, and I realized my fear was getting in the way. 

So I started committing and thinking about the movement (rather than thinking about falling) and it got better. 

I graduated to working on my own near a wall, and now I can work on my own without a wall nearby. 

If you're like most of us, the iM will take you forever, so you have some time to get comfortable with the PE ;)

Adriana Millan

Thank you Julia for your thoughtful response! I think you made some great points. Now I guess I'll have to make some friends at the gym, lol. :)

Petri Widsten

Train in an open area with plenty of space all around. Put a couple of gym mats in front of you, get into a tripod and push up from there. Hold the headstand if you can, then build confidence in falling by tucking your chin to your chest and rolling forward onto the mats keeping your back rounded. Works for PE3 too.

Adriana Millan

Thank you all so much!