This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Press Walks pHS/PE7

Started by David Rosenberg, July 30, 2016 · 22 Replies · 490 Views

David Rosenberg

I don't think I'm getting these Press Walks.  My hips don't have the lift that I see in the demo video.  I think it might just come from continuing like this, but wanted to see if there were any suggestions.  In the two versions below, in one I started with my feet closer to the hands.  Thanks!

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

If you are not able to perform at least one rep of the PE7 probably your PE6 mastery it is not enough. the exercises the presented so that one exercise build up a surplus of preparation for the following one. so i would see your PE6 mastery with corresponding IM.

Sascha Fast

It looks to me that it could improve with more compression.

Coach Sommer

Hi David,

Alessandro's comment is spot on; drop back and refine PE6.  This is a matter of insufficient middle trap strength.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

David Rosenberg

Thanks much! I'll go back to PE6 and try to reduce my weakness. 

David Rosenberg

How does this look?

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi David,

You're looking pretty good. Nice control on this movement. As you press, your back is too flat almost as if you were planching to handstand. I would like to see a bit more curl in the spine as you press.

David Rosenberg

Ok - I can directly think about curling my back, but should there be other position change cues as well? Should I have my shoulders less forward? Thanks!

Maksis Riley

Thinking of elevating hard helps me planche less personally. I try to think shoulders to ears. I don't know if it's the best cue but I find it helps.

 

Kai Ewert

Yes Maksis - as stated in the Focus Points for VP3 (PE6): 

2) Elevate & protract until you feel the upper back cramping!

Leo Trinidad

Hi David,

Awesome job! When I do this drill I imagine that I am being pulled upward in my glutes as I compress to a pike fold. Good compression will let you feel a bit of cramping in your abs. :)

David Rosenberg

Trying to add some curl to the back. And reduce the planche a bit. 

 

Leo Trinidad

Hi @David Rosenberg,

Huge improvement in form and control. Keep up the good work.

Gavin Strelitz

Hi guys,

I am nearing Mastery of PE6 and I just wanted to check something for PE7 that I can't clearly make out in the video. Are we aiming to "float" the feet for a second before placing them back down in between the arms? 

Thanks

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Gavin Strelitz,

Yes we are aiming for that. This can only be achievable with maximum elevation of traps, correct alignment, strong core and mobility of legs. If you have any questions and doubts about your form, please feel free to submit for form checks/video reviews.

Gavin Strelitz

Thanks for the clarification Leo.

Jon Douglas

A variant of this drill I have been doing recently is a straddle hold for max time, into a straddle forward roll. It's surprising how often you can find an extra second or two in your hold when putting your feet down actually isn't an option :)

Mats Trane

@David Rosenberg awesome job! Try to Keep your a head in a bit more and see what it feels like. This que has helped me a LOT in My press HS work. 

David Rosenberg

I need some advice on getting my feet up the last few inches for PE6. On mats, where I'm not scared of falling over into the sink, I have occasionally done something that ended up with my feet up onto the mat, which I guess is good, though not exactly in control. I was focusing on getting my hips ups and over. And when it happens, it's very smooth and easy. But I don't know how to get it consistently. Any suggested cues or drills?  Is there a link for @Jon Douglas's straddle hold to roll?

David Rosenberg

After a lot of experimentation on mats, I think I made some progress.

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

The general problem here, and you can clearly see from the last video above, it is the general tendency to lean, while the purpose of the exercise it is the compression with the goal od reducing as much as you can the shoulder lean.

David Rosenberg

When I focus on compression, I find I can't get my hips up high. Are there any recommended supplemental exercises or drills for this skill?

Leo Trinidad

Hi @David Rosenberg, 

As you press your hips up, try pushing in your chest towards your quads to eliminate leaning. As Alex said, you must eliminate 'leaning' or 'planching' or closing the shoulders as you do the press. I would suggest try remastering the previous progressions. :)