This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Day 8: Is the edge of cramping and indication of flexibility without strength?

Started by Justin Scott, July 30, 2016 · 5 Replies · 141 Views

Justin Scott

I noticed in the standing trunk rotation, I stopped my rotation right before I felt an urge to muscle cramp in my obliques. The rotation wasn't really very far. Just from curiosity: is that indicating I have a bit more range of motion there, but not the strength to handle it?

Thanks. :)

Everett Carroll

This is normal, in the beginning, if your not used to moving into that range. It's not worth pushing to the point of cramping right now, so you did the right thing by reducing ROM, even though it sounds like you had more. Your body will adapt quickly to this, with consistency, so keep it up!

Justin Scott

Thanks, although the nerd in me is still curious: Is and urge to cramp one of the indications that you're about to enter a ROM where you don't have strength?

Everett Carroll

I may have a bigger nerd inside myself. I've been reading up to give a better answer but I think @Wesley Tan or @Mark Collins will be faster and more concise with accurate delivery. Here is a relevant article in the meantime:

 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3445088/

 

Alessandro Mainente

Cramps it is a sign of excessive muscle fatigue and approximately zero energy store for the current set. it can appears in 2 situations:

-muscle becomes more and more fatigued with at least 6-7, it is very difficult if not impossible to cramps under 8 reps because we are working on neural factors

-a muscle has a super tight antagonist and it needs to exert the maximum contraction in order to stretch the opposite muscle.

Justin Scott

Very cool informations. Thanks. :)