This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN/PE1-im Form Check

Started by Daniel Taylor-Shaut, July 29, 2016 · 11 Replies · 116 Views

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

These need work. I know it and after watching, you will know it, too. My left shoulder does the whole grinding and cracking sound and I'm using about 10% of my weight with a 17.5lb dumbbell. Even without twisting my left arm just the forward compression towards my legs seems to cause it. Thanks.

 

 

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

PLease keep attention on holding the weight exactly over the shoulder with a full internal rotation, look carefully at 22 second and you can see easily what I mean.

Also your right shoulders internally rotate less compared to the other. spend one more set on the RX arm at the end of all the sets.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Yeah my shoulders have been problematic for some time. So, for example, four sets of the PE+im, then an extra set with the im on my right arm? Also, any tips to keeping the shoulder stacked and for addressing the noise I'm hearing in my left shoulder?

Tanya Hill

Slow and steady my friend and never work through pain.

A slow decent, keep your eyes on the weight the whole time, watch your wrist rotate to its full range and the shoulder will roll in also then slowly rotate back up. Id even recommend to downsize in weight until you master good quality of movement with full range of motion. This exercise comes in handy down the road and its important to take your time here. 

Looking forward to a slow video :) 

 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Hmmm. A lot to ponder in regressing this move. So, to vet my adjustments I'm thinking to drop the weight by a little less than half to 10 lbs.

Also, since I'll be slowing down the pace how should I coordinate that with the Pro+ videos I'm using. I certainly don't go anywhere near as deep as they do (yet). I feel like keeping pace with them though mitigates the stretch in this move as I'm rushing without yet having access to quality and pain-free ROM.

Lastly, might it be of benefit to reduce the ROM. Bending forward causes the clicking and hip capsule sliding. So, should I reverse the movement once I hear those noises even if, say, I'm still close to standing upright?

Tanya Hill

When following Pro+ you can definitely keep with their pace. Maybe practice a few on your own nice and slow to work full range and feel out the exercise. 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
2 minutes ago, Tanya Hill said:

When following Pro+ you can definitely keep with their pace. Maybe practice a few on your own nice and slow to work full range and feel out the exercise. 

Good to know. A lot to hone in, will have to throw these in on other days then it seems to help keep fresh and get those areas opening up. Will report back on how it feels going slow and steady with less weight, really focusing on the internal/external rotation of the shoulder and depth of compression with the hips. Thanks!

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Here I am doing 4x15 of the PE, which I think I've mastered (and will move on to 5x15, for no other reason than to give me more sets on the im). Previously, PE2 was quite difficult so, while I work on improving the IM, I intend to work on expanding my ROM from a tuck up in PE1 to a straddle up in PE2 (a straddle tuck up, then a straddle bent leg tuck up, then, hopefully/eventually a straddle up). I'm doing some hip flexion exercises I got from Pro+ to manage that, too. Anyways, back on track, let me know how these most recent examples of PE1 and PE1>im appear from these videos. Thanks.

 

 

 

Mike Lounsbury

I'm not qualified to answer, but looks better to me. Watched a few of your other form checks as well and it looks like you have good mobility. You look like a contortionist compared to me.

Alessandro Mainente

a few suggestions:

PE

-keep tension in the arms by holding them straight from shoulders to fingers

-stop for 1' at the top of the compression

-knees should be more flexed so that shinbone is inclined past horizontal of about 45°.

IM

-some bent knee on both side on the bottom part

-your second side is more tight (consider to do another one more set for this side at the end of all the sets)

Luke Searra

Hello Mike thank you for your submission - in addition to Alessandros great pointers I would like you to keep your toes pointed (as a fine point), also try to keep the shoulder rotation on all iM reps consistent.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

All good cues. Will keep chipping away at this. Thanks.