This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

beginner with clicking in left shoulder

Started by Chad Mingo, July 29, 2016 · 8 Replies · 227 Views

Chad Mingo

Hi all,

  I am into week 2 of GST Foundation, and I am finding that my left shoulder is clicking/popping at the top of the HBP/PE2 iM movement.  I am using only 5lb dumbells and as I rotate the weight and start down the backside of the movement, there is noise coming from the joint of scapula, clavicle and humorous.  If I really "reach for the sky" it lessens some.  Right shoulder is fine so I think I know what it should feel like.

My question is this.  Are there other stretches or exercises I should do to add strength or flexibility to this joint or should I stick to the program and work through it.  There is no pain in the motion but it definitely feels like if I were to add weight or increase sessions there might be some overuse/wearing down of that joint.

I am a 44 yr old male with good strength but horrible flexibility.  I hope to address that lack of range of motion as well as injury prevention for my other pursuits.

Thanks for your input!

Chad

Luke Searra

Hi Chad thank you for your post, would it be possible for you to film the movement?

Everett Carroll

Yes, please send a video. Typically the little clicks and pops work themselves out and the "reach for the sky" technique is what I recommend to folks. If it doesn't pop as much with a lighter weight, consider working up from there.

Wesley Tan

Avoid clicking if possible, ysing a smaller weight will possibly help as well as starting the drill with slighlty smaller circles. 

 

Once you have warmed up after a few sets you can open up a little and see if you can creep towards your max range avoiding the clicks. 

Both my shoulders used to click on the Xiaopengs but not any longer. Table holds from FL iM's and dislocates from HS1 helpre tremendously.

Chad Mingo

.mov file is not accepted by the forum, but here are series of stills.  Popping occurs in the last frame.

IMG_2912.PNG

IMG_2913.PNG

IMG_2914.PNG

IMG_2915.PNGIMG_2916.PNG

Luke Searra

My clicks also eventually worked themselves out Chad. A couple of pointers about your Xiaopeng :

1) I would like to see you actively extend your shoulder toward the ceiling MORE as you go through the top

2) I would like to see you internally rotate your shoulder more -  towards the back of the Xiaopeng (as Wes says in the breakdown, palm faces down)

 

Chad Mingo

Thanks for the feedback guys, the stress seems be lessening and I can definitely work through it. 

Everett Carroll

Not a problem!

Luke Searra

Great sign Chad