This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE1>im

Started by Daniel Taylor-Shaut, July 28, 2016 · 11 Replies · 177 Views

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

http://youtu.be/5PmPR5Ys7RM

I am doing these with 5lbs. I feel good about the ROM but want a second opinion. Next week is week 11 after coming back to GB from a couple of months off, so I'd like to begin work on shoulder extension which has plagued me--unknowingly since I began this GB journey in 2014--sooner rather than later

Also, after mastery of this progression, I intend to work up to 7.5lbs on this integrated mobility.  What I would like to know is whether it would be better to work on these before my main work sets for PE2, as a warmup, or after my work sets, as a cool down (that is, if my current form is good enough and I master next week).

Cheers.

Alessandro Mainente

Some cm more of flexion more and you will get it. for the rest you can evaluate to insert some additional work at the end of the HS session when working on PE2.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Yeah, I noticed after posting the video that I'm just ever so shy of being completely 180 degrees. I'll keep at it. I'll take another form check next week and see if it's there. Thanks for keeping me honest. Also, thanks for clarifying about where to put in extra work for flexion, will take note of that as I progress.

 

Ryan Bailey

Just to add some thoughts regarding gaining shoulder flexion: when I focus on improving shoulder joint range quickly, meaning I over work glenohumeral joint stretching, I find it is easy to over do. Sometimes I need to remind myself:

1)  improve length of the tissues from front of pelvis and hips with PPT,

2)  front and sides of the chest wall,

3)  as well as thoracic extension.

Sometimes this alone will improve the glenohumeral motion without over stretching the shoulder joint and risking injury itself. 

Thought I'd share Dan... Not that you would ever over do it like I have before ;).

Alessandro Mainente

The point number 3 is extremely beneficial, nice detail Ryan.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Lol, I impinged my shoulder for the first year of training GB. But thanks. I do biceps stretches as well as swivel hips and hollow body training daily (of course submaximally)

 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
On 7/29/2016 at 0:52 PM, Ryan Bailey said:

Just to add some thoughts regarding gaining shoulder flexion: when I focus on improving shoulder joint range quickly, meaning I over work glenohumeral joint stretching, I find it is easy to over do. Sometimes I need to remind myself:

1)  improve length of the tissues from front of pelvis and hips with PPT,

2)  front and sides of the chest wall,

3)  as well as thoracic extension.

Sometimes this alone will improve the glenohumeral motion without over stretching the shoulder joint and risking injury itself. 

Thought I'd share Dan... Not that you would ever over do it like I have before ;).

 

I'm going to try focusing on these to obtain that last centimeter or so. It is slowly coming, but on occasion, I can feel a bit of overstretching in the right shoulder joint. So, I'm going to give focus to other areas to see if that somehow opens up my shoulders by proxy. Thanks for these insights.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Woah. Just did HS/PE1>im today and while focusing on PPT especially, the iM felt significantly easier. In fact, I found myself readily pulling the bar behind my head on the last set. Granted, this IS deload week, but I'm still recovering from a family wedding on Sunday night so whether I'm fully rested or not  is a moot point. Thanks for this tip @Ryan Bailey. I'm going to keep focusing on that point you mentioned because there were significant improvements and ease of movement in something that I was already only a few centimeters away from mastering. Going to try and eventually work up to 10-15lbs on this after going through one more cycle and hopefully having this iM nailed down pat. 

Eva Pelegrin

Imagine adding a touch of thoracic extension to that, which Ryan cleverly mentioned on point 3. That's one of my weaknesses right there. What I want to say is that doing it with that intent alone, even if it seems that nothing is moving at the moment, it can move mountains later on.:)

Glad to hear you're noticing some changes. It's exciting when some little detail clicks. We often do not give enough credit to what the rest of the body should be doing in a given element... It often requires a global "agreement" (whole body-mind) rather than local body part effort. Cheers.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
6 hours ago, Eva Pelegrin said:

Glad to hear you're noticing some changes. It's exciting when some little detail clicks. We often do not give enough credit to what the rest of the body should be doing in a given element... It often requires a global "agreement" (whole body-mind) rather than local body part effort. Cheers.

 

The global 'agreement' point is so salient. I'm realizing that more and more as I really try to refine the progressions I'm working on. It's intense how nuanced simple movements could be, 

Guest

I find it hard to PPT while sitting cross legged when trying to do this IM. Is it the same as standing up where I squeeze my butt hard and keep my ribs down by contracting my abs?

Jon Douglas
6 hours ago, Dexter Goh 171210 said:

I find it hard to PPT while sitting cross legged when trying to do this IM. Is it the same as standing up where I squeeze my butt hard and keep my ribs down by contracting my abs?

Not quite, although ribs down is another important point :)

Have a look at some of the im drills for ppt a little further along in H1 to understand this movement, and F1 Front Lever elements. It is the tilt that points your tailbone 'down' and flattens out your lower back. Easiest to feel lying supine, i think.