This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Kicking Into Handstand Help

Started by Jon Thornham, July 28, 2016 · 2 Replies · 119 Views

Jon Thornham

I started SE3 tonight and quickly realized that kicking into a handstand is hard.  I was hoping someone could clarify my thinking and possibly offer a couple of progressions for learning to kick into the handstand.  

My Thinking

1.  Stacking the shoulders over the wrist before the kick will allow the body to open from the shoulders.  This would be ideal.  If the shoulders are not stacked over the wrists then the body opens from the wrist joint making things much more challenging.  

2.  Entering PPT as soon as possible will help control the top position.  If PPT is lost the back arches and causes the legs to swing over the top if the kick is too hard.

3.  Finding the right amount of kick will take time.  There seems to be an incredibly fine balance with the amount of kick required to get it right.  In time, I am sure I will be able to get away with more, but for now it feels like I am on a tight rope.  

4.  Squeezing the butt and legs as soon as possible will also help control the top position.  

If there are any progressions someone may offer or there are points you feel may help clarify my thinking, I'd appreciate the input. 

Take care,

Jon

Everett Carroll

A drill I really like for this is starting with fingertips just an inch or two from the wall with shoulders stacked directly above wrists, and trying to softly kick up without touching the wall. Make sure you start will full scapular elevation and don't lose it as you kick up. 

Jon Thornham
1 minute ago, Everett Carroll said:

A drill I really like for this is starting with fingertips just an inch or two from the wall with shoulders stacked directly above wrists, and trying to softly kick up without touching the wall. Make sure you start will full scapular elevation and don't lose it as you kick up. 

Awesome drill.  Thanks.  I'll start working on this.