This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Wrist Prep Questions

Started by Mark Anderson, July 27, 2016 · 2 Replies · 110 Views

Mark Anderson

Old newbie here. I'm about 2.5 months into HS. Started at the very beginning and am ready to move on to HS/PE2+iM. First, though, let me say how impressed I am with the wrist preparation stretches and strengthening exercises. They do amazing things for the forearms and hands, beyond just about anything I've seen in a typical meathead setting.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Re FKP: I can get to about 60 degrees (palm to deck) on the left and about 45 degrees on the right. PE1 did not put enough load to increase the ROM significantly, even if I leaned all way to almost PE2. I feel a bit of challenge at PE2, but can easily do the reps. PE3 is challenging enough to really load this. I can get all the reps at PE3, but feel a deep stretch. Is it better to stay at PE1 until full ROM (90 degrees) is achieved as for the F1 mobility requirements, or move to a level where the load will help increase the ROM more efficiently? If so, would PE2 or PE3 be the better choice?

2. Re WR: I have a semi-frozen first knuckle on the little finger of my right hand. I can straighten it out and bend it back, but I cannot get it past about 45 degrees when attempting to make a fist. I've talked to an ortho about this. The response: "I can cut the tendon." Uh, no. The upshot of all this is an inability to rock the right wrist down without rocking off the edge off an elevated level or (dangerously) twisting my wrist to accommodate. The latter option is probably not advised. The former option is one I can do and get the reps. Is this acceptable?

Mark

Alessandro Mainente

1) work with the first PE where do you feel imbalances and fix the problem, you can evaluate to add 1 more set for the tight side.

2)sown with a video please how you can adjust the reps. remember that when a personal joint problem is presented  the exercise can me revisited as necessary if the problem is structural.

Mark Anderson

Thanks, Alessandro. I'll stick with PE1 for the FKP.  I'll probably do it with significant lean and emphasize loading the working side. The wrist strengthening exercises seem like loaded mobility as much as strengthening. And, I'll figure out how to post a video for the WR. I have been remiss in posting form checks anyway. This will be an incentive to start doing so.