This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS/PE4 and iM

Started by Kai Ewert, July 27, 2016 · 14 Replies · 152 Views

Kai Ewert

I worked my way up to mastery volume on this but without a form check early on. I find the iM the more challenging move strength-wise and am wondering if my ROM passes mastery criteria. Any other comments are also welcome. I didn't see the technical video ("hold your hands out in front") before I "finished" this element...

 

Everett Carroll

Not quite mastery yet, Kai. Even if you have to reduce volume, here is what you should work on:

For the PE

-Remain more upright. You are leaning too far forward on the descent.

-Keep your shin parallel to the floor.

-Gently touch the knee and foot of the bent leg to the floor at the same time.

-As you return to the top of each rep, evenly pull your leg back in. You were jerking your leg back in too fast, upsetting yor tempo, and sometimes losing balance.

For the iM:

-Keep working on your ROM. 

-Work on a bit more PPT

Luke Searra

Good Job on your progress so far Kai. The torso leaning forward is a very effective means to gain an effective mechanical advantage (scale down), the leverage of the SLS/PE4. Absolutely remain upright. Keep it up

Kai Ewert

Thanks guys.

Any tips on how to improve ROM on the nLEs? I find it hard to gauge the angle as I am doing them, so I just go down as far as I feel I can still get up out of. That then usually is a height at which there is some wiggling in the hip angle going on as I transition into coming back up. Keep doing that? The other option is not pushing it that far but maintaining PPT, but I don't feel like I can gauge the return point well for this scenario. 

In the PE, I've been avoiding touching my foot down because I feel like it helps or will stay down longer than the knee naturally. Any cues/things to focus on to avoid that? 

Everett Carroll

Definitely keep PPT and work on finding that point of return with proper form. Working on quad flexibility is going to help your ROM. Wall quad abd layback quad stretches are my quad stretches of choice.

Kai Ewert

It's a strength issue for me, not flexibility. I can lay back all the way with assistance, I just can't come back up without breaking at the hips. This is another more recent video of me trying to assess if I have ROM sufficient for mastery:

 

Luke Searra

Hello Kai , thank you for the video. Once again lets focus on PPT throughout the whole moevement (you need more), this will actually help you to stop breaking at the hips. Also I would prefer you not throw your head backwards during the descent but keep your eyes looking straight forwards. Additionally you can think of protraction of your shoulders throughout the movement to keep your full body as tight and organized as possible. This will also in the larger picture help you to stop breaking and fix and "strength leakages", in the system.

Luke Searra

If this is your full PPT Kai, you definitely need to work on tight hip flexors.

Kai Ewert

Ok aiming for PPT in the nLE (iM) was a surprise to me but makes a huge difference in how the exercise feels. It now makes more sense that it's classified as an iM, actually feels a bit like sissy squats. How is this for form:

 

Kai Ewert

I've also been trying to take the comments on the PE into account. I can't imagine keeping the upper body stick straight, but here is a recent attempt. How does it look?

 

Kai Ewert

@Luke Searra, @Everett Carroll any comments?

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Kai,

Nice improvement! On your iM be careful not to let yourself bend at the hips. Keep working hard, it looks like you're doing a good job!

Kai Ewert

Hey Jeffrey,

can you be a bit more specific? I see the hip bending for the iM and will get rid of it, but for the PE, am I looking to stay more upright or to build the volume to 5 reps per leg?

Everett Carroll

Aside from what Jeffrey said, everything looks good on the iM.

For the SSS, try to pull the knee of the bent leg in too fast as you stand back up.

Kai Ewert

Thanks Everett. I am assuming you mean "try NOT to pull the knee of the bent leg in too fast" based on your earlier comments and will work on this.