Bent-arm isometrics

Started by Neal Winkler, December 9, 2009 · 3 Replies · 3,883 Views

Neal Winkler

What exercises in gymnastics/bodyweight utilize bent-arm isometrics?

The first one that comes to my head is press handstands with bent arms. Also, Ido has his 90/90 pullup hang.

iAR5ISq1Lvw

Of course it would be easy to make anything up. For example, just hold the top portion of the front lever row, ect.

But I'm wondering if there is anything out there that I haven't thought of.

Razz

Bent arm planche and bent arm HS hold (coach advocated this to help build HSPU)

Longshanks

I'm not quite up to holding the bottom of planche holds yet as I'm still doing plahce leans (can just hold a tuck on parelletes for a few seconds). Dont know what level you're at but I just hold the bottom of press-up position with feet at 45degrees against a door. You can make it harder but either going higher on the door or tuck your feet to your bum so your knees are against the door. I think this pushes the centre or gravity closer to your upper body. Of course the bottom of any planche or handstand wud be better.

Ido Portal

I would suggest to aproach this kind of thing with the weak link in mind.

Basicly, one can supplement his full miometric movement set work with some isometrics in the weak joint angle position.

For example, on a planche push up day:

A1 Planche push ups 5X5

B1 bent arm planche, body hovering off the floor 15 sec X 3 sets

Of course, this will be a supplement to straight arm planche work.

Ido.