This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Mastery complete, rest of the week?

Started by Stian Stensen, July 27, 2016 · 20 Replies · 284 Views

Stian Stensen

Hi, I have been searching the forum but can't seem to find an answer. 

I am on a 4 times pr week schedule. This means that I do my routine twice a week. I usually test for mastery on the first training session of the week. My question is, if I test for mastery on Monday and have the same routine on Thursday. What do you do on the elements that you mastered on say Monday? Do you cut it from the routine, do the de-load or do the mastery once again?

Br

Stian

Everett Carroll

I recommend that you master the element two times in the week and, if you are successful with that, move on to the next element the following week. 

On the fourth week, deload the movements that you were on in week 3. Make sure you don't skip deload.

Leo Trinidad

I agree with Everett about mastering the element two times in a week when testing. And I would also like to add that if you keep on progressing and passing the mastery you don't need to deload not unless you really have to.

Leo Trinidad

clarification:

when i say passed the mastery (you passed it with ease meaning it is not challenging) therefore posting for form check is highly recommended. when in doubt always check.

failing even in one element or in one integrated mobility, follow deload on the 4th Week. 

Stian Stensen
8 minutes ago, Leo Trinidad said:

clarification:

when i say passed the mastery (you passed it with ease meaning it is not challenging) therefore posting for form check is highly recommended. when in doubt always check.

failing even in one element or in one integrated mobility, follow deload on the 4th Week. 

Ok. This is a bit different than what has been stated in the forums earlier. I dont remember the post but someone asked about the level of mastery, shaking, breathing hard and so on. It was stated there that as long as you managed it with proper form and the required reps/time it was mastered. I would say that at level that I am at now it is by all means challenging but I am able to complete it at the form and reps required. 

Luke Searra

Without the deload you'll begin to lose strength - just like Everett said make sure you include it Stian. Can you be more specific about why you dont understand the above clarification.

Stian Stensen
1 minute ago, Luke Searra said:

Without the deload you'll begin to lose strength - just like Everett said make sure you include it Stian. Can you be more specific about why you dont understand the above clarification.

Luke: Thank you for reply. Leo stated that mastery should be "passed with ease meaning its not challenging". I stated that in an earlier forum post, someone asked a question on what constitutes mastery. It was stated that as long as you had proper form and completed the required reps/ time, then you had achieved mastery. 

At my current level, mastery is challenging but I am able to complete it with proper form and reps/time. 

I understand the concept of de-load and it is not what I asked about merely what to do with the rest of the week when I completed mastery on the first day of the week and had another later in the week on a 4 day template.

 

Stian

Leo Trinidad

Stian,

i am sorry for confusing you it is because i have repeated mastery of foundation one countless times. (the reason for my post)

bottomline is you need to deload on the 4th week like Everett and Luke said. I hope everything is clear now.

Luke Searra

Stian are you asking about de-load in week 4?

 

Luke Searra

Deload is crucial to maintain strength , if you don't do it you will end up losing strength - I speak from personal experience.

Stian Stensen
1 minute ago, Leo Trinidad said:

Stian,

i am sorry for confusing you it is because i have repeated mastery of foundation one countless times. (the reason for my post)

bottomline is you need to deload on the 4th week like Everett and Luke said. I hope everything is clear now.

Leo, yes I know. You are a beast and your input is much appreciated. To a novice as my self, I am just trying to find what is normally recommended in order to have progress. 

I am sorry if my original post was unclear. I will try what you recommended.

Luke Searra

Thank you for the amazing compliment Stian! Post as many questions as you like throughout your training we will be here to give you a helping hand.

Luke Searra

DELOAD is RELOAD

Leo Trinidad

No worries Stian, i do get lost too that is why i got you confused. :)

As Luke said, Deload is crucial to maintain strength , if you don't do it you will end up losing strength 

Stian Stensen
3 minutes ago, Luke Searra said:

Stian are you asking about de-load in week 4?

 

Luke, no I am not. Sorry for the confusion. Originally I was asking if you should re-do mastery later in the week if you completed the mastery earlier in the week on a 4 day template.

Monday: testet mastery step 9.

Tuesday: tested mastery step 9 ( different elements than on Monday)

Thursday: Same as Monday ( should I do the mastery reps or skip it since I already completed mastery on Monday?)

Friday: Same as Tuesday (should I do the mastery reps or skip it since I already completed mastery on Tuesday)

Thank you

Everett Carroll

Test mastery twice in the week for your template, to fully ensure mastery. If passed, move to the next element the following week and repeat the process. After 3 weeks, make sure the 4th week is a deload of the progressions and steps you were last on.

Here is what I recommend for the template your are on:

Monday:

   -Test Mastery

Tuesday:

   -Test Mastery 

Thursday:

   -If mastery test was passed, repeat the SAME mastery test as Monday.

   -If mastery was not passed, adopt the appropriate step for the same exercises.

Friday:

   - If mastery was passed, repeat the SAME mastery test as Tuesday. 

   -If mastery was not passed, adopt the appropriate step for the same exercises.

 

Max Wallach

Just a quick question...  I thought that we were only supposed to test master as part of the full foundation sequence.  ie when we are ready to test for mastery in a given element we are supposed to test via the full F7 workout, not broken up into separate days.

Of course I'd rather test different elements on different days, but this does make it easier.

Thanks,

Max

Everett Carroll

Stian is on a split, based on his recovery abilities. He does F4 Mon/Tues and F3 Thurs/Fri. This is setup in your workout scheduler, Max. It's totally fine to set it up to train all 7 element on the same day.

Stian Stensen
7 hours ago, Max Wallach said:

Just a quick question...  I thought that we were only supposed to test master as part of the full foundation sequence.  ie when we are ready to test for mastery in a given element we are supposed to test via the full F7 workout, not broken up into separate days.

Of course I'd rather test different elements on different days, but this does make it easier.

Thanks,

Max

Hi Max, 

I still do the rest of my elements so that I get a full day of training, its just that I am not at mastery level on the other elements.

 

I will list my template/setup in order avoid any further confusion ( see attached file). The elements that are at step 9 constitutes mastery.

 

this is my week.jpg

Stian Stensen
13 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:

Test mastery twice in the week for your template, to fully ensure mastery. If passed, move to the next element the following week and repeat the process. After 3 weeks, make sure the 4th week is a deload of the progressions and steps you were last on.

Here is what I recommend for the template your are on:

Monday:

   -Test Mastery

Tuesday:

   -Test Mastery 

Thursday:

   -If mastery test was passed, repeat the SAME mastery test as Monday.

   -If mastery was not passed, adopt the appropriate step for the same exercises.

Friday:

   - If mastery was passed, repeat the SAME mastery test as Tuesday. 

   -If mastery was not passed, adopt the appropriate step for the same exercises.

 

Thank you very much!

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

On mastery testing... The automatic workout scheduler will give one workout to attempt mastery, IF it is your first workout with the new progression. If you pass the mastery on the first workout, the automatic workout scheduler will automatically go to the next progression at the next workout.

If you have been working on a particular progression for a number of workouts, the automatic workout scheduler will have you test mastery every workout. If you pass mastery every workout of the previous week, the automatic workout scheduler will move onto the next progression.  

Deload weeks are the only exception to the above. If you pass mastery on week before a next deload week the automatic workout scheduler will move onto the next progression after completing the deload week.