This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SPL/PE2-iM

Started by Ron Roitman, July 27, 2016 · 5 Replies · 154 Views

Ron Roitman

Hey everyone!

I haven't posted anything on the forum lately. I was on a break from foundation for a whole month because I had to study a lot at the university. Unfortunately, I couldn't moderate the mobility&strength sessions-even a deload felt too much for me to handle :/
I'm quite frustrated because I was 11cm away from a touchdown in side splits (if you know what I mean ;)), but tomorrow I'm restarting my training.

Anyway, I have a question about sPL/PE2-iM I wanted to ask long ago, but didn't have the time to do so.
Last time I performed 'Straddle Running Man' , I felt that one leg was restricted due to disproportions of the chair I used. Thus, I couldn't extend one leg as sideways as possible.

I'd like to lie down on a table instead when I do the workouts at home. The table is quite wide so it's easier to grab it from the front and not from the sides&under. Does the grip matter/affect the purpose of the exercise?

 

Thank you!
P.s It's good to be back! I'm going to spend some time today by just doing lots of tissue work(self massage) and stretching :)

Alessandro Mainente

The grip it is not a problem itself. the cue of the exercise is to support the upper body so that the lumbar muscles stabilize the body while the butt makes the legs extension.

Ron Roitman

@Alessandro Mainente is this attempt good? It was quite weird to execute the iM on a table, but that was the most comfortobale equipment, I could think of, for my hip bones at home.
If done on a chair, the back of the chair would block one leg from going as sideways as possible.

Also, I might have shown a tendency to sometimes kick the leg instead of moving it with control ,as @Cole Dano previously stated. I hope except for that, the technique was fine.

Thanks :)

 

Jon Douglas

Yes, a bit of kick, and also a tendency to crunch towards the extending leg. Both of those are points to fix.

The leg also is coming out a touch low. Get it up in line with your hips :) and push it out on the diagonal rather than back first then up :)

Alessandro Mainente

Legs are not yet at hips level, also you are extending the knee completely and then moving the locked legs. that is not the purpose. feet should reach the final position at the same time where knee and hip are extended. the goal it is not:

-extend knee then extend the hips

or

-extend the hips and then extend the knee

Extension of knee and hip must finish at the same time.

Ron Roitman

I appreciate a lot the honest critic guys - my medial glutes are so sore from trying to film the best attempts.. :) 

Am I getting a green light or is there still something missing? :) 

Btw, Jon, I'm not sure what to do about the side flexion of the spine. It happens as I move the leg 'as sideway as possible'. Anyway, I tried to minimze it.

@Alessandro Mainente @Jon Douglas

Thanks!

P.s I was kicking(AGAIN) at the beginning of the first video, but I'm pretty sure I was moving the leg with more control on the other two attempts..