This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

General Question: What effort level should this work out be?

Started by PAUL DALY, July 26, 2016 · 3 Replies · 182 Views

Everett Carroll

Are you completing your assigned work every day and recovering well for the next session? Are you improving each week?

 If so, then you're probably doing fine. If not, tone in back a bit. It's good to be tired after foundations but you shouldn't feel so thrashed that you're unable to train the next day. Pushing too hard every day increases risk of injury, impedes recovery, and reduces training quality and consistency. 

PAUL DALY

Thanks, that helps somewhat.  

I'm completing the assigned work (plus) every day.

As to whether I am improving. . . well that's a little more subjective I think.

For example, if one day I do 12 reps, and ok, that's hard, but I got it. And then the next I'm supposed to do 14. Well, I'm GOING to do 14. Period. And if that means that I'm exerting myself a little more than I did last time, then I'll exert myself some more dang it!  

So, boom, I got 14. 

Did I improve? Or did I just "go to 11" as they say on Spinal Tap? Did I just push, instead of working at 80% capacity, work at 95% capacity, without increasing my capacity?  

And the problem -- for me anyway -- is I don't really know until one day I go to do 15 (or whatever) and I can't even do 5! 

That used to happen to me with my running pretty regularly. I'd say "last time I did 7:30 minute miles. Today I'm doing 7:29. Whatever. It. Takes." And then one day, I'd be toast. And it would be weeks before getting back to 7:30 again.

(I may be a little stubborn.) 

I had been following a Phil Maffetone inspired program for about a year before giving this a whirl. That was working pretty well, but I really want to give this a shot. 

After yesterday's work out, I got up this a.m. and did a VERY, VERY easy 3 mile run. No problem. Tonight I'll do a light Aikido class. I feel fine. . . for now. So I'm training the next day, but you know, I'm wonder if this will catch up to me at some point. 

Maybe put it this way: on a scale of 1-10, what should my Perceived Effort Level be generally during these workouts?

Mikkel Ravn

If 10 is the absolute top end, which is almost leaving you for dead, I'd say that you need to be between 6-7. Power to spare, but a solid effort. 

I have a tendency to do too many assistance exercises, and need to remind myself that there's a day tomorrow.

He who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day :-)