This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS PE1 IM

Started by Jonathan Barnes, July 26, 2016 · 8 Replies · 81 Views

Jonathan Barnes

Hi all, 

Very new to this, and hoping for a form check here. I find this IM extremely difficult, and so I wanted to make sure I'm at least on the right track in terms of what I'm aiming for, before I put too much more effort into learning how to do this incorrectly. I know I'm supposed to be aiming for a flat back, ribs down. In a number of threads, people have also suggested that the shoulders should be elevated on this one, which I take to mean shrugged up toward the ears. In which case, I feel like I'm feeling this more in my upper traps than anywhere lower. Is this right? Worked with a PT for a while to overcome various impingement-y shoulder problems I've had (initially set off by trying to transform from couch potato into Michael Phelps at the pool perhaps a bit too quickly, and a bit too late in life), and the whole time, even with shoulder flexion movements, she was all about "down and back", and relax the upper traps, etc., so this feels counterintuitive me. Eager for any feedback you may have. Thanks!

Jon

p.s. Yes, that is a cross-country ski pole, and no, it is not very heavy. Flexion first maybe, then weight?

 

Leo Trinidad
21 minutes ago, Jonathan Barnes said:

Hi all, 

Very new to this, and hoping for a form check here. I find this IM extremely difficult, and so I wanted to make sure I'm at least on the right track in terms of what I'm aiming for, before I put too much more effort into learning how to do this incorrectly. I know I'm supposed to be aiming for a flat back, ribs down. In a number of threads, people have also suggested that the shoulders should be elevated on this one, which I take to mean shrugged up toward the ears. In which case, I feel like I'm feeling this more in my upper traps than anywhere lower. Is this right? Worked with a PT for a while to overcome various impingement-y shoulder problems I've had (initially set off by trying to transform from couch potato into Michael Phelps at the pool perhaps a bit too quickly, and a bit too late in life), and the whole time, even with shoulder flexion movements, she was all about "down and back", and relax the upper traps, etc., so this feels counterintuitive me. Eager for any feedback you may have. Thanks!

Jon

p.s. Yes, that is a cross-country ski pole, and no, it is not very heavy. Flexion first maybe, then weight?

 

Hi Jonathan,

You are right. Initially you'll feel it in the upper traps and shoulders. As for your form, make sure that when you lean forward, your arms stay in the same place (if you do it correctly, you won't be able to bend much with your waist). You are approaching this correctly by thinking that you should get in the proper form first before adding weight.

Jonathan Barnes

Hi Leo, 

Thanks so much for the speedy response! Much appreciated. Just a clarification on what you said about form though: When you say your arms should stay in the same place when you lean forward, do you mean that they should remain straight up and down, 90 degrees to the floor, while the torso leans forward? I had understood, I guess wrongly, that the goal was to lean forward, and for the arms to stay at 180 degrees to the torso, basically just continuing the straight line formed by the back. If I'm understanding you right, then the actual goal is to get much more flexion than that, so that the arms actually move past 180 degrees to the body. Is this right? (Sure hope not!)

Thanks again, 

Jon

Alessandro Mainente

Remember to post a video without a shirt so that possible errors could be evaluate with more precision.

Jonathan Barnes

Excellent. Will do. On that question of form though, which of those two things am I trying for: Arms remaining vertical, torso leaning forward without them, or arms and torso both leaning, forming a single straight line from hips to hands? I feel like maybe I'm seeing people doing both of these things in other threads. Thanks very much for your help!

Alessandro Mainente

Te angle from hips to hands should be 180° or less. the 2 situation you described are not alternatives:

-if you can open to 180° you will have the different to lean while holding the same position

-if you are more flexible naturally you can see that if you hold the arms vertical with torso leaning forward the angle from hips to hands should be less. for an optimal surplus of strength look for this second option.

Jonathan Barnes

Thanks, Alessandro! That makes sense. And is the standard for mastery going beyond 180, or is a solid 180 sufficient to progress?

Alessandro Mainente

A solid 180° with appropriate ribs in , neutral wrists , weight and grip.

Jonathan Barnes

Great, thanks! Will check in again when I am even remotely close to that.