This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Jefferson Curl Form Check

Started by Johan Tideland, July 26, 2016 · 19 Replies · 316 Views

Johan Tideland

I decided to add these to my training 2 times per week since I noticed that I have a lot of work to do in this one. I have not yet mastered the PE1 and im  but I figured its ok to add these since its only the the im not the strenght.

Here is a video, one does not have to be an expert to realize that there is a lot of improvement that needs to be done in order to master this one

https://youtu.be/CRL5j6R7tZU

Thanks

Luke Searra

Thank you for reaching out Johan. We definitely have a LOT of work to do. It's almost as if your lower back is frozen straight. You have a good start leading with your chin but after your upper back you need to get rounder vertebrae by vertebrae for sure. I also want you to stand on a small object to get yourself off of the ground.

Johan Tideland

Thanks for the replay Luke, I will keep working on these. 

Believe me I am trying to round the lower back but obviously nothing is happening right now, I hope it will within time tho.

I will get an object to stand on, however I wonder why is it necessary for me to stand on a object now? since it will probably take months for me before my hands get past my feet.

I have to say that this is quite the eye opener for me, I am 25 years old and I have a horrible mobility, I wonder sometimes how it has become like this. Over the years I have been to quite a few physios, especially the last year because I have had a herniated disc in the lower back. A few physios has said that I seem to have a bit of a stiff lower back, but they way they have said it has been more like just something you say when passing by. One has suggested that I might need to stretch it a bit, but none has ever suggested that this could be a problem or that this is not normal. 

I am definitely going to work on improving this. 

Luke Searra

You're absolutely correct Johan you don't need to stand on anything until you can touch the floor - what standing on something might do is help you to stop leaning in the JC. As a GB forum coach it's my absolute pleasure to help you. 

Iain McLean

Stick with it Johan!  I too am chipping away slowly with the jefferson curl.  Looking forward to seeing you progress.

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

1. These need to be done with weight.

2. When you have weight in your hands do your best to keep it close to your legs as you curl down and back up.

Tanya Hill

Hi Johan, 

Great effort, I like how you are trying your best to work on your weakness. The Cat-Cow PE1>iM in the front lever series I see as a great warm up for you to get more spine flexion and extension. 

Mobility comes with time, patience and dedication. Keep going strong. 

 

 

Johan Tideland

wow, thank you for all the support, I will definitely post new videos on my progress from time to time. I am doing the cat-cow PE1 im every day as part of my daily limbering.

Rayne-William, you say that I need to be using weight, are you sure that I should be doing this with wight before I have gotten full Rom? or at least close to full Rom? I have had a lower back disc herniation, I have recovered now but I am afraid that I will aggravate it if I put weight on this at this limited amount of Rom.  

I have also heard (I think from Coach Summer himself, but I don't remember) that if you are at 90 degrees angle between lower and upper body you should bend your knees slightly to take some pressure off until you have become flexible enough that you are past 90 degrees. 

Thanks 

Johan

Leo Trinidad

i completely agree with Tanya and I highly advise to do your Cat-Cow mobility @Johan Tideland 
it really works wonders to your spine. it also strengthens your protraction and posterior pelvic tilt :)

Mike Kelly

"I have also heard (I think from Coach Summer himself, but I don't remember) that if you are at 90 degrees angle between lower and upper body you should bend your knees slightly to take some pressure off until you have become flexible enough that you are past 90 degrees. "

Is this correct?  I have been doing J-curls and I am super tight.  I have been wondering if there would be a benefit to doing some of my sets as bent leg J-curls just to get a little stretch in my low back?

 

 

Kevin Herring

Johan,

I have a bulging disc and a protruding one and Jefferson Curls and stretching courses have improved my life from two to three good days a month to four to five good days a week.  Massive improvements in the quality of life.  And that's been just this year.  Last year I did neither and had little change in the pain.  Started doing both this year and results.

I would also suggest trying the spinal roll  with your back against a wall as a warm up.   No weight, feet about one to two feet away from the wall for balance.  Just focus on rolling and feeling your spine leave the wall one vertebra at a time.   The wall provides feedback on where you are rounding and where you're not.  Do a few reps and move your heels closer to the wall and do a few more.  Go by feel and not by reps.  In the beginning I felt it more after 30 seconds or so.  Don't rush, I felt it faster when I went slower.

You can also do Cat-Cow standing or seated through out the day.  Just do five reps here and there.  Ok, Cat-Cow is the name for doing the spinal movement while hands and knees are on the ground but moving your spine Cat-Cow/Jefferson curl style is what you want to do.

I purchased a 15-lb standard bar (CAP Barbell) and that seems to be about right for me.  An Olympic bar was too much for me to begin with.  And a wooded dowel didn't provide enough.

Now up to 12-kg to 25-lb.  Tried 16-kg (35-lbs) but again didn't feel as smooth.  Now a month later 25 is feeling a little light.  Still there is improvement to be made in the movement itself.  After about five reps I can get the bar below my toes. 

Luke Searra

That's an awesome suggestion Kevin about starting against a wall for form feedback.

Johan Tideland

Thanks for the suggestion about the wall Kevin I will definitely try it:)

Mike Kelly
On July 30, 2016 at 2:10 PM, Mike Kelly said:

"I have also heard (I think from Coach Summer himself, but I don't remember) that if you are at 90 degrees angle between lower and upper body you should bend your knees slightly to take some pressure off until you have become flexible enough that you are past 90 degrees. "

Is this correct?  I have been doing J-curls and I am super tight.  I have been wondering if there would be a benefit to doing some of my sets as bent leg J-curls just to get a little stretch in my low back?

 

 

bump

Luke Searra

Mike at times I bend my knees very slightly 1) to alleviate pressure on my knees when going heavy or doing it daily 2) to focus the JC more into the spine. If you do decide to use the bent leg technique please understand that its just a means to an end toward proper JC technique.

Johan Tideland

Yes you can bend your legs a bit to take some pressure off, if you are at 90degree angle between upper and lower body. I finally found it, I have been looking  like a madman for it in case someone is interested in hearing the words from Coach himself.

I just saw that Luke posted an excellent answer to your question Mike, however I will post the link to where I heard this anyway if someone is interested.

http://ec.libsyn.com/p/e/1/a/e1ac14c613e131e6/PaleoSolution-275.mp3?d13a76d516d9dec20c3d276ce028ed5089ab1ce3dae902ea1d06cf8737d8c15eb728&c_id=9261449

It is a podcast with Robb Wolf from june 2015. He starts to talk about JC at around 35-36min and I think he says the words around 37,30.

 

Mike Kelly

thanks guys :)

Luke Searra

Our pleasure Mike Kelly

Johan Tideland

Hey guys, I just want to give an update on how it is going. I am doing  JC 2times a week and i am doing 20-30r of cat/cow every day. I have to say that my back feels better, for example I can now do the SL hip circles (im1 and 2) pain free, witch I could not do 3 months ago, now they are part of my daily limbering.

As far as visible results, well they are yet to come, I guess some people come in very tight packages and it also seems to take a long time time to soften us up. Anyway I keep chipping away on these and I will post an update every now and then. I hope that everyone who are in a similar spot as me also keeps their faith up, results will come eventually I am convinced.

Here is a video of todays JC https://youtu.be/XqtTlNN_B2k

Johan

 

Tobias Åkeblom
On 7/30/2016 at 9:57 PM, Luke Searra said:

That's an awesome suggestion Kevin about starting against a wall for form feedback.

Yep, that is a super nice excercise. Ido Portal teaches it on his corset workshop. We also did it lying on the floor with feet tucked in toward the butt. Then vertebra by vertebra pushing yourself up to almost a shoulder bridge. Really nice spinal feedback. 

Another great application of the cat-cow is to ask a friend to give you tactile cues on where to move your spine.