This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Can't Deck Squat without mats

Started by James Cooney, July 26, 2016 · 11 Replies · 170 Views

James Cooney

Hello all

i'm really struggling with deck squats. I can't do them without 4 mats boosting me on top of a slightly elevated surface at my gym. It's about the length of fingers to knuckle (3 inches?). Wondering how am I best to progress? Keep on with the mats? Or sort out my limitations first before even attempting deck squats?

Thanks

 

James

Alessandro Mainente

Problems could be related to technique, tempo or ankles flexbility. from my point of view and personal limitation I can say that also with very tight ankles and soleus you can easily perform the deck squat because it is a matter or refining the roll. Can you post a video please?

PAUL DALY

I'm in your boat too. Can do them with about 2" of mats. Try every time with only 1" mat, and fail. Like not even close, not even 1. But I can do 5x15r with 2" of mats. Strange. 

 

Alessandro Mainente

If you have problems guys, post a video it is highly recommended. 

Alex Pisaturo

Have a quick related question.

I have not progressed past PE1 of the SLS because of using mat for the deck squat which I thought was a fail for the movement.  Should I be staying with PE1 step 1 and noting "fail" on the schedule because I use the mat?  Or do I keep using the mat and progress through the PE1 steps (ie step 1, 2,3 etc).  I dont mean to hijack this thread, but ask because Paul mentioned 5x15r with mats...

Thank you

Alex

 

Leo Trinidad

Alex,

keep using the mat and progress through PE1 steps and as you feel more comfortable, decrease the mats until you can do deck squats without the help of the mats until you master it and do not forget to do the incorporated mobility along with it.

small progress is progress. reaching 5x15r with the mats is still progress.

Alex Pisaturo
5 minutes ago, Leo Trinidad said:

Alex,

keep using the mat and progress through PE1 steps and as you feel more comfortable, decrease the mats until you can do deck squats without the help of the mats until you master it and do not forget to do the incorporated mobility along with it.

Leo,

Thanks for that...I am on step 4 of all the progressions at PE1 but have kept my SLS PE1 progression at step 1 because of that mat.  I also do Olympic weight lifting so this inability to do PE1 step 1 was very humbling.  This then will definitely help my psych that I can progress through that section!

I appreciate the feedback, 

Thanks again

Leo Trinidad
13 minutes ago, Alex Pisaturo said:

Leo,

Thanks for that...I am on step 4 of all the progressions at PE1 but have kept my SLS PE1 progression at step 1 because of that mat.  I also do Olympic weight lifting so this inability to do PE1 step 1 was very humbling.  This then will definitely help my psych that I can progress through that section!

I appreciate the feedback, 

Thanks again

yes. progress with the mat until you get 5x15r then try testing again without the mat. did you already post a video of it?

and i will suggest that you get stretch series to hasten your progress :)

Alex Pisaturo
39 minutes ago, Leo Trinidad said:

yes. progress with the mat until you get 5x15r then try testing again without the mat. did you already post a video of it?

and i will suggest that you get stretch series to hasten your progress :)

Great feedback Leo,

Yeah, I've got the stretch series and my weeks are pretty jammed with movement which is just what I live for.  I'm a big ancestral health/movement type so I basically do daily limbering, stretch series (TBs, MSs, FSs) once a week each, 5-3-1 Olympic weight lifting 3 days /week (I eliminate the military press) and then the 3 days a week progressions!  Got something to do every night...Love it!  Just failing at the SLS!

Anyway, again didn't mean to hijack your thread James C.  Thanks again Leo...

Alex

 

Leo Trinidad
8 minutes ago, Alex Pisaturo said:

Great feedback Leo,

Yeah, I've got the stretch series and my weeks are pretty jammed with movement which is just what I live for.  I'm a big ancestral health/movement type so I basically do daily limbering, stretch series (TBs, MSs, FSs) once a week each, 5-3-1 Olympic weight lifting 3 days /week (I eliminate the military press) and then the 3 days a week progressions!  Got something to do every night...Love it!  Just failing at the SLS!

Anyway, again didn't mean to hijack your thread James C.  Thanks again Leo...

Alex

 

Don't worry about it. We encourage to post videos for form check. :) I also failed deck squats a couple of times before. 

Mark Anderson

James/all:

I asked a similar question in another thread--(YADST) Yet Another Deck Squat Topic--re whether or not to progress steps at the current elevation, then restart at a lower elevation.  I've seen both pro's and con's from folks here on the forum.  Jon Douglas suggested adding in more sets rather than increasing steps.  I currently following his suggestion.  I am adding extra sets (usually 3), one each at the current elevation, something in between that and the deck, and at the deck.  All the extra sets are followed by the mobility element, but the pace is a bit slower than the regular sets.  The additional sets are "skill" work plus additional mobility.  This seems to be working.  After starting at about 4.5 inch elevation, I have moved down to about 0.5 inch elevation (2 yoga mats) and am beginning to get some reps from the deck.  I'm about 2.5 months into the program.  The front split stretch series has been a big contributor.

Mark

PAUL DALY

I'll submit a video after my next work day but I think Mark's input might be on the money. 2.5 months and he's progressed, I'm one month in so I just gotta keep at it!