This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Slightly different Programming set up. Thoughts?

Started by Patrick Poblocki, July 23, 2016 · 5 Replies · 231 Views

Patrick Poblocki

Hi.

With the arrival of a new baby, I'm trying to consolidate my time, while still hitting all of foundations, handstand, and stretch series.  It's quite a lot to pack into a busy schedule.  Although a wonderful tool, I've found the online scheduler limited with only the 30 / 60 min. Options.  So, What I've done here is spiced some things together into a four day split that I would get me to repeat movements every 5 days or so...slightly less volume than a 2x per week model, but still a good frequency.  

What I've constructed is a three day sptlit to focus on a push, pull, legs (traditional three day split plus weaving an additional stretch day on the fourth; 2 foundations days for every 1 stretch day); but, I'm hiting the "core" movements of MN, PL, SL, FL, with near daily frequency (3 on, 1 off) but reduced daily volume, only 1-3 sets.  I do these as a giant set immediately followed by a giant set of ims.  I know foundations is not supposed to be performed with giant sets, but I feel this an appropriate trade off for more efficient training.  Plus, I am splitting the HS series into three parts:  HS, wrist series, and press handstand.  I'm employing an auto regulation method of determining when to push, how many sets and reps to hit, and when to deload.  I'm very familiar with the mastery templates and deloading schedules, and I've found by training with autoregulation, I'm pushing just as hard and deloading just often. It looks like this:

Day 1)

1-3 sets of FL, MN, SL, PL done as a series (giant set) with im coming as its own giant set after.

HPB + HS

Day 2)

1-3 sets of FL, MN, SL, PL done as a series (giant set) with im coming as its own giant set after

SLS + HS wrist series 

Day 3) 

stretch series 

Day 4)

1-3 sets of FL, MN, SL, PL done as a series (giant set) with im coming as its own giant set after

RC + press HS 

Day 5)

Repeat pressing day

Day 6) 

stretch series

Day 7) 

repeat legs day

Day 8)

repeat pull day

Day 9)

stretch series

repeat

 

In no way is this schedule an attempt to make the traditional program better.  Honestly, I was at  Point of giving up, because I felt that the gymnastics program as laid out in the online scheduler, was just too much of a time commitment for me. I feel that this set up  with a little less work each day spread out over a slightly longer time period is a good way to avoid scrapping everything altogether. Hopefully, folks could give me some ideas on how to make my time even more efficient, or give others  some ideas on alternative ways to program to fit their schedules. 

 

Thanks! 

Pat

Everett Carroll

When I've had a busy schedule, with the time restraints and unknown variables like newborns bring, I had a rotation for the cycle i.e (foundations, handstand,stretch,foundations,handstand,run,stretch). I kept the workout structure and steps the same, and some days I'd only get through 3 elements, while on others I'd complete all 7. Just the same, it sometimes took 2-3 weeks to rotate through everything while during less busy periods it only took 1.

This allowed me to keep my training days consistent and removed the pressure of trying to pack in too much into limited timeframes. This also kept the quality of my training high because I wasn't rushing anything and the flow remained the same, as I wasn't reinventing the programming. We both know this isn't ideal but it helped with my overall time and energy management.

Patrick Poblocki

Thanks Everett.  I tend to over complicate things.  Cory, thanks, I will take a look at that.

Pat

Everett Carroll

Sure thing, Patrick. Do something every scheduled training day, even if it's a simple limber or a few mobilities. 

Ryan Bailey

Hey Patrick, congrats on the new baby. Don't quit moving, as Everett suggested.

I have at times completed non optimal scheduling with a newborn. Meaning, at times, I have separated stretch series from the foundation workout, for time at home to complete the stretching video with the baby or the other kids.

While not optimal, since it is not a silenced focus, it is interesting as the kids now know all the names of the Stretch characters on the stretch TV show, eventhough the little one says I am not as good as the ones on TV. ;)